Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2061 - 2080 of 2401 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Driven by fantasies of side exit dual exhaust, I hacked out my old system. Also started cleaning the engine bay of 53 years of grease to prep for paint.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Getting ready to pull the stock (to my knowledge) leaf springs. Shackle and front spring nuts are now loose! Bought some Drake reverse eye leaf springs as an upgrade.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
After sitting for last 4 or 5 days, the snow melted off my car, the dirt road dried enough for me to drive on, and I went on a cruise with my daughter. Then we went to the local park and ran (on our feet) a couple of laps around it. It was a GOOD day!

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Got a couple boxes today. One is metal prep, it's recommended for por15 engine enamel and the other is a box of retired surgical rags. You buy them by the pound and they're awesome in the shop.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Retired Surgical Rags? Does that mean they were used and cleaned, but not good enough to be used for another surgery?
If so, using a rag that had someone else's body fluid on it sounds a big creepy.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Retired Surgical Rags? Does that mean they were used and cleaned, but not good enough to be used for another surgery?

If so, using a rag that had someone else's body fluid on it sounds a big creepy.
Lol that's about the jist of it. I'm sure these were used for only minor surgery. Lint free and cheap.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Are the rags available on line or just locally?

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Got a couple boxes today. One is metal prep, it's recommended for por15 engine enamel and the other is a box of retired surgical rags. You buy them by the pound and they're awesome in the shop.

Coincidentally, I'm expecting to receive that same metal Prep tomorrow. Only mine is going to be used on a "birdbath", of all things. LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
More metal prep here, too. Ordered me some Eastwood Rust Encapsolator for the rusting drip rails. Also, adjusted my carb primary float higher this morning to combat a stumbling issue on acceleration/turning - helped a little, we'll see how it goes tonight on the "spirited" drive home... ;-)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
More metal prep here, too. Ordered me some Eastwood Rust Encapsolator for the rusting drip rails. Also, adjusted my carb primary float higher this morning to combat a stumbling issue on acceleration/turning - helped a little, we'll see how it goes tonight on the "spirited" drive home... ;-)
Float adjustment didn't help. Stumbling/hesitation is now felt randomly under normal cruise situations as well as during acceleration and corning. Ugh...

So, I just ordered a new coil, which is literally the only part of the ignition system I have not recently replaced/rebuilt. However, the existing coil is only about 20,000+ miles old. We'll see if it helps...

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Well, I expect the coil will be of no help. When do you experience the stumbling/hesitation? Be very specific.....what are the conditions?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Well, I expect the coil will be of no help. When do you experience the stumbling/hesitation? Be very specific.....what are the conditions?
Thanks, Ken, for asking. The stumbling/hesitation started several months ago. It used to just happen under hard acceleration and long sweeping fast turns (think freeway on-ramps). Never while cruising. I had the dizzy 100% rebuilt (essentially it's now new), replaced the dizzy cap and rotor, new plug wires, new plugs, replaced the alternator, and replaced the fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve and valve cover breather, all to no avail.

Over the last few months the problem has gotten worse, so now the stumbling/hesitation happens under hard acceleration and long sweeping fast turns AND while cruising at street speeds and highway speeds. My tach, which reads off of a separate wire from the dizzy than the coil wire, never bounces, so I figured the electrical system "should" be OK - but I second guess that now.

If figured the issue might be carb primary float adjustment, so I raised the float level. No help at all.

The coil is literally the last electrical component to replace (unless I'm missing something...). I ordered a new one from Summit and it should be here this weekend.

If that doesn't help, I'll get a new fuel pump, and if that doesn't help, I'll get a fuel pressure regulator. Not sure what to do after that... :shrug:

2061 - 2080 of 2401 Posts