Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2181 - 2200 of 2208 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have LED headlights in all my vehicles except my Mustangs and they ARE next. I never get flashed from blinding other drivers because I chose bulbs without atrocious amounts of lumens and they are aimed correctly. I HIGHLY recommend the 6K color lights. The lines, signs, reflectors, and animal eyes just pop now. It's INCREDIBLE the difference they make.
Just because you never get flashed doesn't mean you aren't blinding other drivers. As an example: The other night I was driving my daily driver(a 2005 Mazda 6) and my passenger side low beam died. Rather than get pulled over and cited for an out headlight, wasting huge amounts of my time between a useless traffic stop and a court visit to prove I had fixed it...I just turned my high beams on and drove around with them on. I knew very well that doing so would negatively impact the night vision of other drivers...but it was just a temporary thing for a few minutes...but lo and behold...no one flashed me the entire 30mins or so and I passed probably a couple hundred cars...it was in the city with streetlights, so the effect wasn't as bad as a dark country road I am sure...but its just an example that just because people dont flash you doesn't mean you aren't blinding them(I knew very well I was)

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I've about given up on flashing people. If they're driving something with godawful brights xenon landing lights from the factory or something what are they going to do? I've figured out that there is a section of road going to my house where people coming up the hill at me with any kind of decent headlights are going to blind me no matter what.

So I only really flash at egregious offenders. Brights used on those city streets that are so well lit it's hard to tell if you have your own headlights on.
On well marked interstates. Really. Pretty well maintained long stretches of well marked roads with a minimum of gentle curves. What are they doing? Trying to encourage a deer to jump into their grille?
Offroaders with huge "light bars" which are probably completely illegal for road use but they have them on anyway.

Anyway, I've been blinded by enough overly bright headlights the last few years there's no way I'm going to be that guy. I'm all for improving to halogens and using relays but that's about as far as I care to take it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
LED and HID lamp should only be used in housings specifically designed for such use, it’s as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I have passed by my wife driving my own vehicles and I wasn't blinded, because I did chose an appropriate bulb and aim it correctly. And I make traffic stops QUITE OFTEN for "Failure to Dim" both oncoming and following. It sometimes leads to more serious things, like DUI/ drug DUI... a LOT of impaired drivers are riding around with their high beams on, among other problems...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installed the spring saddles or whatever they are called on the upper A-arms and the new shocks. Reinstalled sway bar with new bushings. Actually waiting on the lower control arms I ordered last week and strut rod bushings. All on my 66 that's been in indoor storage for 43 years.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Ordered some new rear drums, drum shoes and drum brake hardware for a complete rear drum brake rebuild.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
In the last couple weeks the car got the following installed:

-AFR 165 heads w/Comp Cams Ultra Pro Roller Rockers
-Hedman Elites w/HTC
-2 1/2" Magnaflow system
-Dual belt underdrive pulleys

Today I ordered a new fuel pump and 6an hose and fittings to complete braided line from hard line from tank to carb.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 66 GT is back on its wheels after installing all new front suspension parts. However my polyurethane sway bar bushings are defective. I purchased them from Rockauto on a closeout deal however both Raybestos polyurethane bushings crumbled overnight. They fit the sway bar properly and I did not tighten the bolts yet, planning to do that today after the wheels were on the ground and ride height correct. Got out to the shop this morning and found blue rubber croutons all over the floor under the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Planned on installing the dual exhaust reinforcement plates in my 66 fastback. First I have to weld a couple small cracks around the seat belt hole i found while cleaning. What fun. Back to installing sound deadener and cleaning for now .

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Got the dash apart on the Emberglo car to prep, gotta mask everything and repaint for new chrome.
Got the gauges cleaned, needles repainted, woodgrain bezel on. Almost to the halfway point.
Got the Nightmist car parts out of my truck bed, engine and trans are in dry storage & everything else in the car's trunk. All the interior is stripped. Got a replacement right door glass partially in.
Thinking about taking the Turquoise car to the local cruise-in to let the kids see some other people's toys and keep them off the video games and cell phones. Lots more pics in my Emberglo and Nightmist threads...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Good today as a few things got done:

1.) Installed tach on dash ala a 66 Shelby. I made a Z bracket that connects beneath the speaker/defroster grill so that I did not have to drill into the dash pad. (wires fished that way too)

2.) Replaced Amp meter with Rocketman Volt Meter. Very happy with that mod. I got one with the volt meter face. The font is slightly more bold than original, but not something that jumps out at you.

3.) Finished the 6an braided fuel line and filter under the hood. Only standard rubber line left is the connection between the sending unit and the line at the tank. It did require a new fuel pump tapped for NPT fittings.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,804 Posts
Picked up the Explorer aluminum driveshaft from the driveshaft shop that I had shortened for my 69 Coupe.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Picked up the Explorer aluminum driveshaft from the driveshaft shop that I had shortened for my 69 Coupe.
Which Exploder years are good for supplying this item?

Clint

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,804 Posts

Which Exploder years are good for supplying this item?

Clint
IIRC from another post here it was 94-00 4 door 2WD, the one I am using came out of a late 90's Explorer 4 door 2WD.

2181 - 2200 of 2208 Posts