Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2421 - 2440 of 2462 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
I have found that rope and string stretch and sometimes break. Vinyl coated wire and even tough weed eater trimmer line works pretty dang well. A little something slippery on the metal perimeter sometimes helps, too, like a little dish washing soap or even some white petroleum jelly, lotion...you get the idea. Just something that wipes off easily and won't harm the vinyl or adhesive for the headliner. Having an extra pair of hands for putting pressure where the cord is can be a big plus, but after doing a few, it gets easier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I never thought of having some sort of lubricant on the lip to help, but that makes complete sense. If I ever have to do it again I will definitely look into doing this. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I'll also take a file and lightly use that on the lip and spot welds because in some areas it sticks up, and that'll only damage the rope.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Installed Open Tracker Racing roller lower control arms to complement the OTR blueprinted upper control arms and roller perches, and a set of SPC adjustable strut rods. The whole front suspension moves silky smooth now.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,729 Posts
Unlike the windshield the rear window wasn't laying flush with the body for me to be able to pull the weatherstrip over the lip. With the windshield there was a ton of room all the way around, enough that it laid flat against the body and I had plenty of side to side and up and down movement for adjustments. The rear window I had to angle it into place because the molding clips were preventing it from sitting flush with the body (hitting the weatherstrip.) I was able to have someone put enough force on it for me to pull rope all the way around, but because of the pressure needed I tore into the weatherstrip in a couple places with the rope. I was using rope, plastic pry bars, and a radiator hose pick-like tool just to get it in. The windshield was very easy for me and was a breeze (except for the caulking.) I mean it beats trying to find a shop to do it for me, and way cheaper. Again it was a great learning experience, which is always awesome.
I use a small rope like this one. I use a small circle pulling motion as I pull the rope out. When I get to a tight spot I also try to pull the rubber out with my fingers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Went down and got a new inspection sticker today.. it’s nice that the shop I go to just gives a once over and i’m good to go..can’t believe it’s been a year since I bought it.. put just about 1400 trouble free miles on her.. lovin’ every one of them.

Got an email I've been wait for..the Hyepo bezel with Marshall gauges I ordered are getting shipped.. 2 months to the day I placed the order.. can’t wait!!

On an ice cream run.
AC4837C7-AD2A-4763-B50D-4A9B5D5E8F33.jpeg

·
Registered
70 Posts

Brought her to work.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
The weather here is PERFECT right now. Mid 70s and clear. I just went out for pizza, ate, and I plan to go back out again even if I go alone. The Turquoise hood looked like a calm lake with the orange and purple of the setting sun melting into it. I don't really have anywhere to go, I just wanna GO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, I have been having issues with backfiring out the carb when under load. I looked back at the timing chain I bought and found it was able to be set 4 degrees off stock both retard and advance, as well as stock. I pulled the timing cover off to check it and found I did have it set to other than stock. I fixed that and put everything back together. I hope to have time to test it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Finally got some time to work on her. Got the rear end built out and installed. Was also able to get most of the front suspension built out too. Waiting for the front stabilizer bar to come back from powder coating to finish things up. Had to put some wheels on her for a photo op since it's been almost 9 years since she last wore some. I'll post some pics when I get off work.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Drill and drill some more. Even though my rivet spacer works a treat on the flat surfaces, I have found that a fabric tape measure works great for drawing straight lines and spacing my holes evenly on the curved sections. Also ordered my sound and heat deadener from lizard skin. Speedway motor is having a fathers day sale.

2421 - 2440 of 2462 Posts