Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2641 - 2660 of 2710 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
John one of the bodyshops I used to work at was across the street from a pharmacy. In the summer I would clean a freshly painted car out on the front parking lot. The last thing I did was give the tires and whitewalls a wipe with thinner on a rag. One day one of the pharmacists came running over to ask how I got the whitewalls so white. It made the tires look new. Your tires and wheels look fantastic.
Brian,

Thank you. That therein is my issue with these BFGs....it's a love/hate....they look so good when cleaned up proper but the effort needed to keep them that way is unwarranted IMO. I'm hoping to at least get an explanation of some kind when I contact BFG this week.

John

·
Registered
899 Posts
Finally a day with pleasant temps and no hurricanes to worry about in Lower Alabama. Spent the afternoon cleaning the BFG Radial T/A RWLs. I know there are a lot of those that aren't fond of BFG but I have always liked the look of their RWL.....

Except this last set.

I bought these about 3 years ago and from day one they like to turn a brownish hue. This necessitates an often 2 hour scrubbing and cleaning to bring them back to what my old set, approximately 2010 date, ALWAYS look like.

I have the same issue. My fronts are 205 60s and rears are 255 60s. The lettering on the fronts stay nice and white, the rears are always turning that brownish color.

Caper50 - I assume you mean paint thinner or mineral spirits

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have the same issue. My fronts are 205 60s and rears are 255 60s. The lettering on the fronts stay nice and white, the rears are always turning that brownish color.

Caper50 - I assume you mean paint thinner or mineral spirits
Unfortunately, on mine, all four corners brown up equally.

To bring them back I scrub with SOS pads and they're good for a month or so before starting to discolor again.

John

SOS Pads 1.jpg

Reactions: 68Hildago

·
Registered
7T03T121875 - 10/5/66 build
11 Posts
Yesterday I got the rear axle and the fuel/brake lines removed, this morning I got it hung on the rotisserie. Now it's time to scrape off the undercoating, and prep it for media blasting. About 30 years ago, Dad pulled it into the shop to clean, seam-seal, and undercoat the bottom of the car, thus all the chassis black sprayed over the red oxide. Frankly, that's what saved it from the tinworm while it was parked in the barn for the next 25 years until I moved it to my shop. Car has zero rust in the unibody.

The long process begins...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Today I hung the laundry out to dry....painted all the misc brackets and the like needed to get the car back on the ground and the engine and trans installed. All kinds of goodies here from the brackets I fabbed to the (modified)Z-ray crossmember to the Mike Maier strut tower brace....and a couple of factory tie downs. Anything I thought was going to be exposed to elements got the same treatment....sandblasting, followed by epoxy primer, followed by acrylic enamel.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yesterday I got the rear axle and the fuel/brake lines removed, this morning I got it hung on the rotisserie. Now it's time to scrape off the undercoating, and prep it for media blasting. About 30 years ago, Dad pulled it into the shop to clean, seam-seal, and undercoat the bottom of the car, thus all the chassis black sprayed over the red oxide. Frankly, that's what saved it from the tinworm while it was parked in the barn for the next 25 years until I moved it to my shop. Car has zero rust in the unibody.

The long process begins... View attachment 768869 View attachment 768870 View attachment 768871
Nice...wish mine had been the solid to start with.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
started refiber glassing the 67 Shelby style hood I bought as a 3 piece kit(someone forgot the hood pins)
IMG_20201004_135300014_HDR.jpg

You know how when someone mentions spiders,fleas,ticks,ect. ya get the itches. Fiberglass is kinda the same way

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I'm itching to see how it turns out!

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
started refiber glassing the 67 Shelby style hood I bought as a 3 piece kit(someone forgot the hood pins)
View attachment 768874
You know how when someone mentions spiders,fleas,ticks,ect. ya get the itches. Fiberglass is kinda the same way
3 piece kits are hardcore

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,384 Posts
Spent all night, cleaning and boxing up my shop. Then temporarily slid the rear axle together and in the car. It can sit on its own 4 wheels for the first time since 05.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Found & purchased a solid fan belt as my 200 -6 in the money pit is eating the cogged belts like candy since putting the 3g 130 amp alt on.
Might have to drop back to a 100 amp if the solid belt don't help. It don't really matter as I can use the 130 amp on the 351 when I put it in the 69 Fairlane.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I removed an old stereo amp and crossovers from the trunk this weekend. Dummy me stepped on a rat trap in my flipflops and mashed my toe. My life is awesome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I removed an old stereo amp and crossovers from the trunk this weekend. Dummy me stepped on a rat trap in my flipflops and mashed my toe. My life is awesome.
I sincerely hate to laugh at your pain, but that just got me to laugh as I’ve done the same thing with my finger once when I forgot I put One up on a shelf in storage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I sincerely hate to laugh at your pain, but that just got me to laugh as I’ve done the same thing with my finger once when I forgot I put One up on a shelf in storage.
I'm happy you laughed. I did too after a minute or two.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Found & purchased a solid fan belt as my 200 -6 in the money pit is eating the cogged belts like candy...
My son's car has been trashing belts of every kind the last few months. Solid, cogged bottom, cogged top, different brands. Used a laser level this last week trying to dial in the pulley alignment, which was possibly off just a hair with the alternator canted a bit. We'll see if my shim helps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Found & purchased a solid fan belt as my 200 -6 in the money pit is eating the cogged belts like candy since putting the 3g 130 amp alt on.
Might have to drop back to a 100 amp if the solid belt don't help. It don't really matter as I can use the 130 amp on the 351 when I put it in the 69 Fairlane.
After waiting on a set of 1" drop rear springs ordered thru CJ from a vendor for about 3 months they refunded my money. Ordered a set of scott drake springs from summit & they came in 2 days. Hope to get them on in a few days.
Settled on a price for the 24x24 metal structure & supposed to start taking it apart today to get it home.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Paid the seller of the metal structure a deposit & went to his place to start stripping the roof sheets off. After I got all the componets marked for reassembley the guy called
Turns out he needed some quick cash by Monday so he cut his price by $500 . Worked out good as its a 24x46 structure only the frame ,& roof no walls. Plan to close the wall up with some 10" structural foam commercial panels with 22 ga steel skin on both side I picked up about 10 years back.. plan on haveing the roof foamed inside & a hvac system.
Gotta dream big.
My nephew came & helped about 2 and we got everything down but the 6 legs & the 3 arches. . Maybe I 'll get the rest down tomorrow . Not looking forward to unloading all the structure off that 16 ' trailer in the morning.
I must be off in the head a little nearly 69 building a shop ,3 cars going & supposed to look at a couple more my nephew's friend has in a stockpile of about 300. Oh well if I croak. Maybe the kids will sell them for some good money
But it's all fun

2641 - 2660 of 2710 Posts