Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2661 - 2680 of 2710 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Replaced my aftermarket SBF rated springs (1/3 coil cut) with GT 1" drop springs (600lb rate). Also replaced my 13/16" Granada sway bar with a 1" sway bar. Have not put it back on its wheels yet to see if there is any height difference. Too cold out to take her out for a rip.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
New 1" sway bar installed today to free up the 13/16" GT bar for sale. Yesterday I re-calibrated my Meter Match for the gas tank. If it does not yield more consistent results, then I will replace the original dash voltage regulator with a solid state unit.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Spent a couple hours digging through boxes in the living room looking for a battery terminal connector that I'm sure is here somewhere. I think there's a couple. Gave up, went and bought another. This was to fix one that broke last week while disconnecting old stereo components.

Next week maybe I'll start it! I have some work to be done at the house in the next few weeks. It needs to be moveable. Preferably not by pushing it.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I haven't actually been working on the Mustang lately. The old ball and chain has been talking about a gazebo for 30 years or more. Fine, whatever! The quicker it get this out of the way, the sooner I can get back to the Mustang!

I cheated and bought a cedar gazebo kit with all the fancy smachy stuff she wants, so the floor was the hard part that I had to do, and it's done!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I've been working through the weekend, including my birthday, sick with some kind of sinus crap (not the corona virus) but we're supposed to have nice weather for the next week and I can't wait to play outside ! I got a new windshield put in my 295,000-mile F-250 and I've been saving some money to buy some more parts for my son's '66. Planning a trip to my Dad's cabin one weekend (gotta take the truck there) and maybe cruising both Mustangs to the beach for a little off-season R&R the weekend after !

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've been working through the weekend, including my birthday, sick with some kind of sinus crap (not the corona virus) but we're supposed to have nice weather for the next week and I can't wait to play outside ! I got a new windshield put in my 295,000-mile F-250 and I've been saving some money to buy some more parts for my son's '66. Planning a trip to my Dad's cabin one weekend (gotta take the truck there) and maybe cruising both Mustangs to the beach for a little off-season R&R the weekend after !
Had a little time & dry weather this afternoon so I installed the new mid eye 4& 1/2 leaf 1"drop scott drake rear springs on the vert. Took it for a short run about 4/5 miles total. Don't really have enough drive time in to be 100% sure but as of now all I can say is what a difference in the ride & driveing out this curving twisting little blacktop road I live on.
Found that the passenger side sway bar link has rubbed the frame rail a few times I guess from side to side movement. . When I reinstalled the scott drake sway har end link mounts on the springs they seemed to be a much more aligned fit than on the stock springs..
Tommorow morning. When its light I can check the ride height againt the before pictures I took when I started.
That was 1 used up set of springs. I'll try to post a few before & after pictures tomorrow after I measure the rear height.
After modifying the mount on the 3g alt & putting a new solid belt on a few days back the belt problem seems to be gone, I hope.
Have 3 of the 4 window regulators in guess they r next to be replaced along with all the front window track runners & window felt.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
After modifying the mount on the 3g alt & putting a new solid belt on a few days back the belt problem seems to be gone, I hope.
Good luck. I finally had to resort to a CVF dual belt pulley system with a high output alternator.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good luck. I finally had to resort to a CVF dual belt pulley system with a high output alternator.
Thought about that but don't know if they even made a 200 dual crank pulley,got 1 on the alt. Ordered what I thought was 1 awhile back but it turned out to be for a power steering system looks good on the eng as its billet . Hope to get some drive time in after i get past getting my HVAC continuing education hours in this week , then i can see how the belt issue goes.
Haven't heard it squealing like a stuck pig
Had a little time & dry weather this afternoon so I installed the new mid eye 4& 1/2 leaf 1"drop scott drake rear springs on the vert. Took it for a short run about 4/5 miles total. Don't really have enough drive time in to be 100% sure but as of now all I can say is what a difference in the ride & driveing out this curving twisting little blacktop road I live on.
Found that the passenger side sway bar link has rubbed the frame rail a few times I guess from side to side movement. . When I reinstalled the scott drake sway har end link mounts on the springs they seemed to be a much more aligned fit than on the stock springs..
Tommorow morning. When its light I can check the ride height againt the before pictures I took when I started.
That was 1 used up set of springs. I'll try to post a few before & after pictures tomorrow after I measure the rear height.
Have 3 of the 4 window regulators in guess they r next to be replaced along with all the front window track runners & window felt.
Well looking at the car in the light it dos'ent look much different. After checking the rear height ( not as accurate as measuring off a concrete floor) looks like the driver side is sitting higher even with all the tools I had out loaded on that side in the trunk.
Well after checking the car in the light it appears the drivers side is sitting higher even with all the tools I had out loaded on that side in the trunk. I'll try to post some pictures later as sometimes out here they load ,sometimes they don't. Today they don't. Finally got 1 to load the scott drake springs r considerably thicker.
Sticker says made in India had ordered a set made by an American company but after 3 months cj gave up on them & refunded my money. Ordered these thru summit & had them in 2 days.
Don't know if it can be seen in the pictures but the leaves have a pretty thick nylon? slide attached to the end between each of them. All the shakle bushings appeared new on the part in the frame I guess they were replaced whenever the resto work was did years ago, no way they are orignial.
Put new shakles which are a little more neater than the oem 7& bushings on with the springs. I'll just pile the take offs in with all the front suspension parts somebody might have a use for it 1 day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thought about that but don't know if they even made a 200 dual crank pulley,got 1 on the alt. Ordered what I thought was 1 awhile back but it turned out to be for a power steering system looks good on the eng as its billet . Hope to get some drive time in after i get past getting my HVAC continuing education hours in this week , then i can see how the belt issue goes.

Well looking at the car in the light it dos'ent look much different. After checking the rear height ( not as accurate as measuring off a concrete floor) looks like the driver side is sitting higher even with all the tools I had out loaded on that side in the trunk.

Well after checking the car in the light it appears the drivers side is sitting higher even with all the tools I had out loaded on that side in the trunk. I'll try to post some pictures later as sometimes out here they load ,sometimes they don't. Today they don't. Finally got 1 to load the scott drake springs r considerably thicker.
Sticker says made in India had ordered a set made by an American company but after 3 months cj gave up on them & refunded my money. Ordered these thru summit & had them in 2 days.
Don't know if it can be seen in the pictures but the leaves have a pretty thick nylon? slide attached to the end between each of them. All the shakle bushings appeared new on the part in the frame I guess they were replaced whenever the resto work was did years ago, no way they are orignial.
Put new shakles which are a little more neater than the oem 7& bushings on with the springs. I'll just pile the take offs in with all the front suspension parts somebody might have a use for it 1 day.
View attachment 769554
Sitting outside on my patio area today looking at my 67 & it appears that the car is sitting level front to back now & the rear no longer has that sagging down look to it

View attachment 769554

View attachment 769554
Sitting on my patio area today & it appears that my 67 is sitting level front to back & is no longer sagging in the back end. Looking at the tires from the side both appear to be sitting in pretty much the same relationship to the wheel wells.
So I guess installing the new springs was a good move at half the cost of what I had originally ordered.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sitting outside on my patio area today looking at my 67 & it appears that the car is sitting level front to back now & the rear no longer has that sagging down look to it

Sitting on my patio area today & it appears that my 67 is sitting level front to back & is no longer sagging in the back end. Looking at the tires from the side both appear to be sitting in pretty much the same relationship to the wheel wells.
So I guess installing the new springs was a good move at half the cost of what I had originally ordered.
sorry about these double post my phone flips off the screen & when it pulls back up I can't tell if its lost or posted

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I've been enjoying this beautiful weather !
I've been to both Ford dealerships in the area today carpooling my wife while her Expedition got service work (lots of compliments there!), took my son to football practice and picked him up (lots of kids love the car and wave!), and I got lots of horn-taps, thumbs-up, waves and some smiles from some pretty ladies...saw a nice '66 Springtime Yellow convertible with the top down. Nice day to ride the Ponies!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Began installing my TCP Monte Carlo bar and cross bars. Measured it out, drilled, and test fitted it and the cross pieces. Tomorrow I'll jack her up and bolt down the mounting plates, and finish it up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
its been a while. I have been working on dads 63 chevy II and 71 nova. In the mean time, trying to get the air lines for the suspension to stop leaking. Added a larger air tank for suspension. Still trying to figure out what front sway bar to purchase since mustang II front end is installed, not sure how to measure for it yet................so much to read up on

·
Registered
168 Posts
Finished the TCP install last night. Cane out great and adjusted a few other things since I had the car on the lift. Some pics:

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
56 Posts
found time to work on the mustang. changed direction on the radio. Also started sealing the air line connections.
Cutting the dash was difficult since it was original, but I quit smoking and don't plan on starting back so I figured why not, I have to repaint the interior anyways....

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Almost complete with the interior now. Installed a tmi center console, added a lokar shift boot ring, and a forever sharp steering wheel.

Also installed a Borgeson power steering conversion. I knowBorgeson gets a lot of slack on here, but what a night and day difference! My old Manual steering box needed a rebuilt badly as it has so much slop in the steering. The Borgeson makes it feel like a brand new car!

Next up is an electric fan conversion

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Finally got tired of looking at the body color painted fender bolts. Ordered new bolts from NPD - both the "SEMS" and the "HTS" as wasn't sure which type would have been used on a San Jose built early '66, and to complicate things further, the PO had used a mixture of both on both fenders.

SK Fender Bolts 2.jpg SK Fender Bolts 3.jpg SK Fender Bolts 5.jpg

After a discussion with Brian, @Caper50 (thanks again!), as his is also a San Jose built '66, it was decided that the "SEMS" bolts would have been correct. Shot a little PB Blaster on the bolts and after letting that penetrate, I was then able to remove them after a little back and forth persuasion as they were a tad rusty.

New bolts are in place and IMO, look better than the painted version I removed.

SK Fender Bolts 4.jpg SK Fender Bolts 6.jpg

All in all, a pretty leisurely afternoon project that I rate at 3 🍺🍺🍺:cool:

John

2661 - 2680 of 2710 Posts