Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2741 - 2758 of 2758 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Coupe
67 Posts
Do you like your dash pad? Did it fit well? Where did you get it?
It is a TMI dash pad. Quality built but; you have to drill 2 holes in the dash to get it to fit. This kind of peeves me because it is advertised as exact fit.
Which brings me to this, the fit is not that good. A 1/4” Gap on the upper right of the instrument cluster and very tight on the left. It is fiberglass so ‘molding’ it to fit is not easy.
There is no center speaker grill. I don’t use the center speaker and I know this is not concourse correct but; it is advertised as a 67-68 Mustang replacement. I expect it to be reasonably similar. The original trim pieces that screw in under the windshield weather stripping do not fit now. That does not bother me too much but it may bother some.
I would not buy this again. I got it to match the TMI seats I installed. Should have just bought a few yards of matching vinyl and redone original pad.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is a TMI dash pad. Quality built but; you have to drill 2 holes in the dash to get it to fit. This kind of peeves me because it is advertised as exact fit.
Which brings me to this, the fit is not that good. A 1/4” Gap on the upper right of the instrument cluster and very tight on the left. It is fiberglass so ‘molding’ it to fit is not easy.
There is no center speaker grill. I don’t use the center speaker and I know this is not concourse correct but; it is advertised as a 67-68 Mustang replacement. I expect it to be reasonably similar. The original trim pieces that screw in under the windshield weather stripping do not fit now. That does not bother me too much but it may bother some.
I would not buy this again. I got it to match the TMI seats I installed. Should have just bought a few yards of matching vinyl and redone original pad.
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. I have black interior I had my original dash pad re-dyed. It came out okay but I was thinking of replacing it some day. I don't know if it could be recovered and get the stitching right on the front edge.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
@Randolph2112 , @coupe3w I dunno if it's available for the 67 and 68, but the Original Ford Tooling ones are nice for the 64-66. I have one that's around 18 years old with no fading or curling. Maybe you can send the TMI one back?

·
Premium Member
1967 Coupe
67 Posts
@Randolph2112 , @coupe3w I dunno if it's available for the 67 and 68, but the Original Ford Tooling ones are nice for the 64-66. I have one that's around 18 years old with no fading or curling. Maybe you can send the TMI one back?
Thank you for the tip, if I change it out in the future I will look there. TMI has a no return policy for made to order parts like dash pads and seats. Frankly, I am tired of dealing with TMI. That is a subject for another thread.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well on my 500 plus-miles trip, the old 289 rebuilt 27 years ago ran 65-70 mph with no overdrive on 89 octane pump gas and got almost an even 20 mpg. Not too shabby! But I'm still leaving some hp or some efficiency in the barn because I can sense a slight surging in the engine sometimes...not enough to see it on the tach and not enough to call it a miss...looked at my cap contacts inside and out, perfect. Looked at my rotor, perfect. Looked at my wires in the dark, no signs of arcing. All connections at the coil, solenoid, firewall, ignition switch are tight and a wiggle of the key is tight and makes no difference. I'm wondering if the power valve in the carburetor or a little leak somewhere is causing it. Most people would never notice it, but I do and I'd like to eliminate it. Distributor is stock, smooth operating, with Pertronix Ignitor and Pertronix wires and coil. Carb is an Autolite 4100 1.08. Air filter is relatively new. Driver is middle-aged.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ordered low profile caltracs for the 67 gt500. Gotta do something while I wait on the seats?! Seats are Supposed to be ready end of the month.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I failed to mention I got "air" with my Mustang this weekend !
It was by accident, but there's a big old speed bump / table / walkway right at the Florida - Alabama state line on 292/182 . My son and I were checking things out right at sunrise, just cruising along, and by the time I saw the speed bump... "OH SH!!!!.....!!!"
I was off the gas but I never had a chance to get on the brake before launching my car a little. I have to say, all the money I put into my suspension for handling years ago also paid off in keeping the car from bottoming out, no damage, and it WAS quite exciting !! But I don't plan to do it again....

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,528 Posts
I also ordered a v belt pulley set up from cvf. Hoping its as good as it looks.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Pressure tested my EFI system to ensure no leaks...went up to 60psi, the max psi I ever run clamped hose at...for pressures higher than that I tend to step up to AN fittings....but I also have zero need to ever run pressures higher than that on a street car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few steps forward and then a few backwards! Caltracs arrived today. Didn't realize I have to pull my leafs back out to install them. Need to press the grommets out and replace with caltracs solids. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Not exactly Mustang, but eventually for a Mustang...
I have a 65 Fairlane 2 door that I rescued from the scrap yard. It still had the original 4V engine, Eaton power steering system, remnants of power brakes, the auto trans, locker, and 2 speed wipers with washer.
I sold the locking rear diff to one VMFr, sold the absolutely perfect windshield to a Fairlane restorer from Troy, Alabama. Got the wiper switch, harness and motor, and a few things from the otherwise rotten interior...
I finally got around to pulling out the original and undisturbed A-code 289 and C4 transmission.
20201124_164356.jpg

20201124_175555.jpg

I have the car loaded on a trailer now. The plan is to secure it on blocks, pull the remainder of the power steering system and the spindles, maybe the axle housing (all of which can be used on 65-66 Mustangs) sell the engine and trans to someone that needs this date code, and send the rest to that Great Parking Lot in The Sky.
Unless you guys need some Fairlane parts...

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks great. Did you need any adapters / spacers?
1” adapters front, 1/2” spacers and longer lugs rear. The front wheel lip barely clears the upper control arm by maybe 1/8”, and the wheel balance weight clears by maybe 1/16”. It’s close, but it fits.
on my car, I did have to roll the front fenders from the 10 to 2 o’clock positions since the tires just ”kissed“ the fender lip in tight turns going into a dip or driveway.

2741 - 2758 of 2758 Posts