Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 2305 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I loaded it with luggage and stuff for the trip to the Springfield MCA show.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
This weekend, the beast is getting a bath!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Installed a new rear u-joint to replace the one I installed incorrectly a month ago and messed up. Smooth drivetrain operation restored. Drove it to work to "test it out".

·
Registered
359 Posts
Setup the new carb and replaced my suspect coil wire on the 65. Ran so well I took it for some laps of the neighborhood (first time I've been able to do that in a while!).

That said, it's now time to address the horrible alignment issues. The passenger side front wheel is an inch further forward in the well than the driver's side. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly tracking straight down the road. That combined with the lack of lights (body is stripped down for bodywork) made for a quick but satisfying trip.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had my leaf springs repaired. did you know we can see a set of leaf springs and think they are solid but as the attached photo shows they can have a hidden rust problem. That rust problem caused leaf springs to collapse and that made my car to sag and clunk and groan and act like a little b*tch until I had some new leafs inserted.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Over the last few weeks I have gotten a fair amount done on my '66 re-restomod project. I wiped down the undercarriage, flushed the brake system, sold the roller 302 short block and the TFS heads, gave the car a bath, painted the 331 that's going in, found a nice deal on a new Astro A5 ( picking it up on Saturday! ), ordered a QuickTime SFI bell ( it arrived at my door the next day ), and ordered a McLeod RXT clutch that should arrive on Friday. The car is loaded on the trailer and waiting for the trip to the shop for the install of the drivetrain and a dyno tune. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Finally got my front drum brake hoses - and installed them. Had the wife help me bleed them and put the car on the ground. It has not been on the tires in over a year....BTW, the new hose is significantly shorter than the '66 hose. I hope it is OK? The wheels were hanging at full down position and the hose still had room to move - but it is way shorter. They sure don't make things like they used to - I mean the hoses were brand new in 1966 and they failed already????

·
Registered
662 Posts
Finally got my front drum brake hoses - and installed them. Had the wife help me bleed them and put the car on the ground. It has not been on the tires in over a year....BTW, the new hose is significantly shorter than the '66 hose. I hope it is OK? The wheels were hanging at full down position and the hose still had room to move - but it is way shorter. They sure don't make things like they used to - I mean the hoses were brand new in 1966 and they failed already????

That doesn't look long enough to me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That doesn't look long enough to me.

Where have I heard that before?

They work as far as passing fluid! I took it to the end of the street. Left front tire went flat, both front tires pointing in different directions, transmission dipstick leaked fluid and I have the drums adjusted way too tight.....other than that - it went great..........No fires and it made it back into the garage by itself. Neighbor stopped by when he heard it running (loud) and asked what I was doing. I told him I was gonna drive it down the road and he almost fell over...."You are going to what?".....HaHaHa

·
Registered
85 Posts
Finished front pas frame rail and extension. Boxed in the LCAs and half of an Arning drop c/w this past weekend.

Figured out that even premium parts need to be coaxed into position at times. Thankfully, C clamps, vise grips and stubbornness prevailed.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Left it parked in the garage. I smelled a hot electric motor and now the convertible top won't go back up. Checked the fuseable link, it's OK. Now to remove the back seat and check out the motor on the pump.

At least the 41 is still running, except that it is not charging. One of my nightmares: two inoperative vehicles in the garage!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought leaf spring perches and a driveshaft for my Explorer 8.8 swap for my 68 Coupe. It also has wilwood brakes. Hoping to get that swapped out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Left it parked in the garage.... One of my nightmares: two inoperative vehicles in the garage!!!
Me too. Left the '67 at home today, and took the Harley to work, which I usually do every Friday. Sure helps getting home faster by lane-splitting on the parking lot of a freeway we have here.

I have had both the '67 and the Harley out of commission at the same time before - that REALLY bites. :(

·
Registered
436 Posts
The mustang runs a little hot if I get stuck in traffic with the AC on. Its an old car, so you kinda expect things like that, but I figured I'd replace the thermostat and flush the radiator to see if I could make any improvement...

Everything was going great until when I was trying to reinstall the thermostat housing I dropped a bolt and for the life of me couldn't figure out where it went. Then I realized that the hose to the bypass outlet of the water pump was exposed and I didn't stuff it with a rag or anything "did the bolt fall in THERE!?!? **** **** ****"

Hunted for the bolt for an hour, even tried fishing down the bypass outlet with a magnet. no luck.

I went as far as to recreate the scenario to see where the bolt might have fallen (with the hose plugged this time) and sure enough, it fell right in the hose to the water pump. ****.

**** it, I guess I'm pulling off the water pump.

So I spent half the day removing the water pump and.... the bolt wasn't in it.

I still don't know what happened to that damn bolt, but on the bright side I might as well install a high volume water pump and an electric fan now that I have the whole damn thing disassembled! This bitch better not overheat after that!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Before you yank it, look very closely behind/near the oil dipstick holder. If you have the coil there - check that as well.

1001 - 1020 of 2305 Posts