Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of doing the 1 in. shelby drop, also installing new kyb shocks, coil spring saddles, grease fittings to the upper control arm shaft, trimming and rolling the fender lip.
So my question is what did you do with the extra holes?
weld them shut? nut and bolt? steel plate? nothing?
Also im keeping the stock coils and cutting 1/2 to 3/4 of a coil off. right now their free standing height is 16.5 in.
i have a 1 3/4 to 2 in. gap between top of tire and fender lip.
i want the fender to sit right on top of the tire.
I dont want to replace coils with 620 1 in lowering, they were very stiff on my 67 and i still trimmed off one whole coil for the right stance. wheels are 17x7 tires 235x45x17

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
At present the holes are open. But I'm going to plug them with rubber plugs before I install the engine.

·
7,010 Posts
I left mine open. If I was going to do anything...I'd get 4" 1" long bolts, nuts and washers and put in from the engine side.

Phil

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The kit I got with camber wedges between the UCA and ball joint came with a reinforcement backing plate that bolted into the old holes. To the untrained eye you can't tell that there is any work to the shock towers. I cut a complete coil off my stock coils and you can see how it looks below in my sig pic. There is about a pinky width of space between the tire and the fender lip. Still rides pretty nicely and is much more aggressive looking! ::

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I just left mine... though I've thought about either rubber grommets or those 'thingys' (usually chrome with spring-loaded tabs) used to plug the holes in electrical boxes.

Just a caution about cutting your springs. Although it will be a bit of a hassle, I'd recommend you start at about a 1/3 coil and work from there. I cut a 1/2 coil from my GT springs and the car went into the weeds. Seems every car/spring combination responds a little differently. Just wait on the shocks until you're satisfied with the height and then finish up the job. (Better safe than sorry -- like me.) Remember to roll the car back/forward about 5 rotations of the tire to let the suspension settle to 'normal' height before making an assessment. Good luck.

- Gord

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I just left mine. Thats what most people would have done 35 years ago, so it doesn't bother me now.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I sold mine on eBay. You wouldn't believe what a couple of NOS shock tower holes fetched!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Does anyone happen to have a nice clear picture of the "Shelby Drop?"

·
Registered
758 Posts
Does anyone happen to have a nice clear picture of the "Shelby Drop?"
What do you want a picture of: the new holes, the relocated suspension, or the resulting look of the car? You can find all three with a little searching online. Many of the sig pictures here in the forum show cars with the Drop.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Better yet, go at 1/4 coil at a time. You'll be surprised at how much difference it can make; better too little than too much. Also, best to use a fibreglass cutting whell, and definitely no torches!
However, I'd still rather recommend the 1" drop 620's. I know you said you felt they were too stiff on your '67, but having cut an inch off them drastically increased your spring rate! On top of that, much of ride quality can be attributed to shocks. I think if you ran them without a cut, and used something like KYB's, you'd be pretty happy with both ride height and ride quality.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i decided to fill the hole with a short bolt,washer and nut. then painted it semi flat black. looks good unless your looking for it youd never know its not original.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts