Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What did you learn to drive in?

4K views 90 replies 77 participants last post by  HTRDCowboy 
#1 ·
My earlier post about a car to teach my daughter to drive in raised a lot of good comments.

Now I'd like to ask what car you all learned to drive in. I'll start...

I learned to drive in a 1960 Morris Minor convertible. It had a 1000cc engine and a 4-speed manual trans with no syncros on the first gear. That was a fun little car and I'd drive one again if I never had to go on a freeway with it.

#2 ·
I learned an automatic in a 1996 Chrysler Concorde LXI w/ the 3.5L

I learned to drive a stick in my dads 1988 Ford F-150 w/ a 5.0 headers and Very nice dual Flowmaster (took the CAT's off) exhaust system. All this was back in the day. About 2 years ago. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

#3 ·
Hey Kent, I'll bite.

It was a '55 Ford town sedan with 272 Y-block V-8 and 3 speed with overdrive. Dual exhaust.

Thanks again for hosting the GT-40 pics.

#4 ·
my uncle's fairly new at the time 63 Plymouth, you know, with pushbuttons on the dash. In fact, I thought I was SO good after the first few driving lessons he gave me, I took the car for a SOLO run while he was taking a nap. In drivers education at Santa Ana High School here in SoCal, we used a 68 Cutlass 442 which had considerably more power than I had been used to in the past.....

randy

#5 ·
A blue 1976 Impala station wagon.

G
#6 ·
The first car I drove was my older sisters brand new Mustang in 1965. I was underage, and it amazed me that she actually let me drive it, even though it was just around the block. Thanks Sis!

I actually "learned to drive" in a '62 Chevy Impala. It was ok... but it ain't no Mustang!

#8 ·
I learned to drive in a 1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight with a pretty nice 3.8 liter Series II motor - It, like most Oldsmobiles, needed a heavy foot to get its butt moving.

#11 ·
196? VW Bug, 4 speed and no power. Remember when everyone thought you should learn a manual transmission car
first. I have three teenage boys, they don't drive my cars. The have there own cars to drive. Cars that get parked in the high school parking lot get major door dings. Someone even sat on the hood of my youngest sons hood at school (hood is smashed) My youngest drives a 1993 Honda Civic (he can afford the gas) the oldest drives a 1989 Dodge mini-truck, good gas and he can take the dirtbikes. The middle one is not driving... Get her a little Honda, or Mustang 4 banger, you get the Marauder.

#12 ·
Well Mustangs have been in my blood from the begining, I'll never forget the day my dad let me drive his brand new 1965 Mustang coupe in the parking lot of the local high school.

I was 11 or 12 at the time and it was way cool. It was also the first NEW car he had ever purchased.

Mark

#16 ·
First car I ever drove was my parent's 1969 Mercury Marquis (429-4V). They never knew it. I "stole it" about 4 different times when they were gone for their Sunday bowling night. I was 14 at the time - never dared stray more than 2 miles from home.

I had a really cool aunt who gave me my first driving lesson in a 1968 Mustang (green/289-2V). parents never knew about that either.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The first official driving lesson was when my dad took me out to learn to drive in his 1976 Triumph Spitfire! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

My first car was a 1974 Pinto, that I paid $1200 for.

#22 ·
1970 Buick Electra Custom 4 door.
455 4V!
Oh that was a nice car HUGE but nice.
I would not mind owning one today at all!

#23 ·
I had a 65 rambler given to me--it was a 660 with a 287v8 in it! think the trans was a cruise-a-matic or something,but when I first got it it would chirp second gear-I used to power/brake it with studded snows on it and dig holes in the street-I killed it!it had a torque tube design drive line(shaft) I blew that outta it!It just war/woar out **G** the seats were cool-they racheted all the way back

G
#24 ·
A 1974 Galaxie 500, but I took my driver's test in my grandmother's 1968 LTD. Of course, the seat belts were tucked down in the seat. I fumbled with them for awhile, and finally the State Trooper said, "Oh, forget it."

James

#25 ·
'61 Ford Fairlane with 352, automatic. It had around 250K miles on it, put there by my parents, my older brother, and my two older sisters. The car never made it down to my younger brother. Rust and mechanical failure claimed it at around 275K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.