Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a new windshield and a headliner install ad the one local mustang shop is wanting $1000.

i was thinking like 250.00 for windshield 100 for headliner and maybe 200 for install worst case

this is for a 67 coupe , i know rear window needs to come out to do headliner

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Yes the prices you are thinking are more normal. Sounds like that local Mustang shop of yours in on crack if they think they'll get $1k for such service. Or, whoever would pay that might be the one on crack.

Also, if you specify a more exact location you are at, instead "earth", someone might be able to give you names of glass and headliner installers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
the joker said:
Yep the local shop here in Texas wants 950 plus tax to do it.
Seriously? Maybe I'm the one on crack :(

Locally it's around $200 for headliner and $125+ per glass with you supplying the glass seals. This assumes your glass will be re-used.

·
Boiled Peanut
3,277 Posts
I gotta agree with cmayna on this one. I had a quote to do a headliner in my old 66 coupe last summer and they were going to remove both front and rear glass, install headliner and re-install glass for 350.00. I thought THAT was high. 950.00 is a plain ole ripoff.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sounds like the shops you spoke with don't want the work. I can comment on the windshield cost out here. When I was prepping my car for paint this year, I got outrageous price quotes from national glass chains to R&I my front and back glass.

Then I called some local mobile auto glass shops and found a one-person installer. I confirmed he had prior Mustang experience. I paid about $90 cash and the guy came to my house and removed the trim strips and glass. He charged the same amount to put the glass and trim back. I supplied the gaskets. I tipped him an additional $20 after each visit because he didn't mess up the trim. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Beach Pony said:
I gotta agree with cmayna on this one
What cha mean this one Bubba. You should be agreeing on all my comments :lol:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have never done one, but I understand that the headliner is a labor intensive install, one hat is not easy to do right. Any truth to this?

I agree $125 for a windshield install, but I would not pay any more than that (unless parts were included in the price).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok never thought the location thing was useful til now lol

i need a new windshield, new seal front and rear, and new headliner + install

i am in Huntsville Alabama, not Los Angeles, or New York where the labor rates are outrageous,

seriously i can get a new headliner + both seals for 160.00 figured front windshield 250

and 4-6 hours labor @ 60.00(since this is not a dealer)

and i think thats extremely expensive @ 750+/-

reason windshield needs replaced is because it is bubbling around the edges and has a chip the size of a nickel right in the drivers line of site!, other than that i would just wait, on the headliner

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what i didnt want to do was take it to 1 place that does the headliner and another that does the windshield,

guess it is do it yourself time on the headliner and get a mobile windshield guy to just do the windows

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
About four years ago our local shop charged $150.00 plus parts.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i ask a locally glass shop how much they would charge to change my front windshield they said 375 thats with glass,trim and weather strip.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When I was looking to do mine, I got quotes of $800 ( if I removed both windows, and supplied all materials) to $1400, to drop it off, and they do it all. I did it myself, with no experience. Even got a vinyl top added, with the headliner. I drilled the holes for the top trim, added the trim, and also replaced both window gaskets. I had a retired upholsterer friend of my dad guiding me on the headliner and top, but I did all the work. Mine came out great. Dig in and do it yourself, you would be surprised at how easy it is, provided you use care and take your time. Leave the headliner in the sun for a day, to stretch it out, though. It's a time consuming job, but with patience, it can be done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
called a company called safelite, they will install a new windshield with new seals for 250.00+ tax (lifetime warranty on glass , and guaranteed not to leak)

so lets figure another 50 bucks to just install the rear, i will buy a new rear seal, thats under 20 bucks from cj pony parts,

now how much is a headliner + install?

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I installed my own headliner & glass, it's really not that hard and it costs a whole lot less!

The glass is a 2 man job, but I did the h-l by myself and a bunch of spring clips. The trick is to get it into position and let it set overnight. Go back the next day, re tighten, glue and then install the glass.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
+ 1

I have done 2 now, not a bad weekend job.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
onegreedy67 said:
called a company called safelite, they will install a new windshield with new seals for 250.00+ tax (lifetime warranty on glass , and guaranteed not to leak)[/quote

Safelite's guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on. I had them remove both glasses, took the car home to do the headliner and brought it back. I bought the windshield from them, supplied both gaskets and got the lifetime warranty. First time it leaked, they squirted some silicone under the trim, second time they would not honor their warranty. YMMV

1 - 20 of 25 Posts