Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to buy a dizzy for my build. What's everyone running? Just want something reliable that won't leave me stranded someday. I see cheap ones out there for $50 and see ones for over $300. Looking for something good in the middle.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Original dizz with re-curve and Pertronix Ignitor.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
839 Posts
I’m running an OE type b rebuilt single advance I got from NPD reman Mororcraft by Cardone. Came with points which ran fine but I soon replaced with Pertronix I and their matching ignitor coil. No problems with the dizzy or ignitor for 1 year. Runs great.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
How much mechanical advance are you looking for? With remanufactured distributors total mechanical advance can be anywhere depending on what reluctor they happen to use. Many after market distributors have adjustable mechanical advance, or at least state what the fixed amount is.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Factory 1970 351 Cleveland distributor. Calibrated by Dan and Mustang Barn to match the cam. Installed Pertronix III because it has a built-in rev limiter. Works really well.

Nothing wrong with aftermarket distributors, but as they change models or go out of business, getting parts can be a challenge. Once exception would be the cheap HEI distributors all over the Internet. Sure, they work, but they look ridiculous. :p

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I use a no longer available Crane optical trigger distributor. It has built in externally adjustable vacuum and mechanical curves.

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
OEM spark-gap ignition is actually extremely reliable. Two stories-

Last fall I went to a camping event with a 1942 truck. 6V, electric start. Overnight, temps went down to 24°. In the morning, there was frost on the outside and inside of the windshield, and even on the fabric seats. Set choke and throttle, switch on, press starter, fired on the first spin.

One night on the highway my 66 died on the freeway just outside Miami. No tools, so I used roadside debris to pop the clips on the distributor. It's a dual point, and one of the cam followers had snapped off. Back to debris, found a small piece perfect to pinch into the broken points, drove home. Try that with dead electronics.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
@22GT , I have a points plate with points, condenser, and a single feeler gauge in a sandwich bag in my car I can drop in any time, any place, if the Ignitor caps the bed. I have a spare coil and a few feet of wire too.
The current Ignitor has been in since 1998, but it could go any time haha!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
PerTronix D134600

It has the steel gear for roller cam.

Reactions: Ron French

·
Registered
972 Posts
I run the stock distributor and points. Simple and fixable on the side of the road.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
New AutoZone $70 Duraspark. It's actually a Spectra that you can get a lot cheaper on line for closer to $50. Don't let the price fool you! Very nice distributor

I'm using the small cap with the blue strain relief Duraspark. Or get the red strain relief CA version. About double the price but a better unit with a much hotter spark that will fire a lean mixture the blue one can't. You also have to buy the matching 12 volt coil.

Points are very liable too, no argument. However I found my car starts much easier especially when hot and seems to run smoother with the Duraspark. Bottom line, run what you want, that's the right choice

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Using an OE dual point mechanical advance from the mid 60's to match my tri-power intake. As I don't have any ported vacuum, Inside dist it has Pertronix II for last 15 years

1 - 20 of 23 Posts