Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a distributor that is plug and play that would come with a proper gear? I'm done dealing with pertonix. The shaft measures .465 with my calipers. This is my second one. The first one ran for about a minute. Sent it back and got this one. At least I got to hear my engine run and warm up for a few minutes!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The roll pin is NOT designed to take the shearing load "if" the gear is too loose. "Some" go to a larger roll pin but that only delays the inevitable.I use a factory steel gear on FMS hyd rollers. '85 gear for the "early" ones and later gear for the EFI 5.0 and 351Ws. I have an 8620 hyd roller in my 521 and am using a FMS steel gear. "Race" solid rollers use bronze gears. Gear alignment and material quality ( not cheap off shore) can give surprisingly long life in a bronze gear. The one in my race 331 has been there for 20+ years and looks great.
Exactly on all accounts. The gear should press onto the shaft, and I’ve also ran a bronze gear for an extended time on a street/strip car. Several years and probably 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Exactly on all accounts. The gear should press onto the shaft, and I’ve also ran a bronze gear for an extended time on a street/strip car. Several years and probably 10,000 miles.
thats about the time they start wearing out. i would make it part of your oil change routine to pull the distributor from now on and check the condition of the gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Now looking a DUI distributors. As much as I dislike GM HEI dizzys. I can get one with a melonized gear. No BS. DONE.
That's 2 Pertroix Dizzys sent back. The first was a stock look one which lasted a couple minutes. The second was a billet one which the shaft was at least .001 undersize. My cam has seen 3 distributors so far... the first pertonix, the original points one to prove the other one was garbage, the last one fired up and ran only get it on it's way back because it was garbage as well.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ron, the DUI guys can send you a Ford style dizzy also, you don't HAVE to switch to the big GM style abomination. Thhey sell lots of different styles. LSG

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ron, the DUI guys can send you a Ford style dizzy also, you don't HAVE to switch to the big GM style abomination. Thhey sell lots of different styles. LSG
I would like at this point to just hook it up and go.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I would like at this point to just hook it up and go.
That hideous HEI distributor will be the first thing you see when you open the hood with no way to make a straight Monte Carlo bar work. LSG is 100% correct and it is no better than any other type of distributor.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts