Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 302 (perf. rpm intake, edelbrock carb) in a '70 Mustang and want to convert it to a lokar throttle cable and kickdown (c4 trans). What parts do I need from Lokar? I know they sell a c4 kickdown cable. What length throttle cable will I need? Any brackets, attachment bosses, etc?

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
May I ask why you want a Lokar setup? Don't get me wrong, Lokar is nice, but it's more expensive and there's nothing wrong with the original setup.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I agree. If you are stock c4, then just stay with the original throttle and kickdown linkage. No major benefits to go cable.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I noticed you are using an Edelbrock carb, the benefit of using the lokar cable have been gone over many times. I used a throttle bracket from Kragen made by Spectre Performance Prod. Chrome w/A.T. Kickdown part number: 2428 along with Lokar cable kit for Ford C-4 KD-20C4HT. Works well, have not had a problem...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock kickdown linkage is missing, the stock throttle cable has been butchered, and I like the way the Lokar looks.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds like you would benefit from the lokar cables. I thought about using the lokar throttle cable but decided against it because my original cable was still good. Be sure to seal up the firewall hole if you plan on driving the car in the rain. Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your set up when you're done!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I totally agree with the Lokar set up. Have it on my 69. All you need is the throttle linkage kit, kickdown cable kit and the bracket to hold both - all sold separately. I had all the oe stuff on the original 302 with a 2 bbl but it never worked correctly. Plus the unsightlyness of that old clunky looking rod was too much. The cables come with it. The instructions show how to adjust and cut the cables once they are installed. More than enough cable is shipped with the kits. Slick set up. I wish everything would've been this easy putting this thing back together.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I ordered the c4 kickdown cable, 24-inch universal throttle cable, and the lokar throttle cable/kickdown bracket. Maybe I'll be set!

Will let everyone know how it turns out.

-Joseph Knight

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
cmayna said:
I agree. If you are stock c4, then just stay with the original throttle and kickdown linkage. No major benefits to go cable.
I disagree. I wouldn't bother converting a '66-'68, but the stock kick down rods used by the '65 and '69/later don't work worth a damn with an Edelbrock carb. The Lokar kickdown cable is the only way to go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts