Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat new to the classic mustang scene. I am fourteen and me and my dad are considering buting and restoring a 1967 I6 Mustang. It is a real steal. What do the judges in the shows look for? I know people put emphasis on originality. I mean if the vins match and everything. So is it stuff like original color scheme and things or does that not matter. COuld you give me a site on where I can find show tips criteria and so forth. ANd if one day I pulled the six and put an V8 in will that affect my placement.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The best thing you can do is volunteer to judge. That way you learn what the Judges look for first hand.

There are several different classes. I"m most familiar with th e MCA, so I'll stick to they're classes, let other describe how other shows may do it.

(MCA)Classes:
Daily Driven: Car MUST be the PRIMARY form of transportation. Not a Sunday Driver. Undercarriage and Engine Compartment are not judged. Judging is done on Cleanliness and condition only, not origonality. MCA shows have this as a 1,2,3 place awards, You are competing directly against other cars in this class.

Street Driven (also called Occasional Driver): Car is driven, but probably not on a daily basis (it could be but that would be alot of cleaning). Undercarriage is not judged , but the engine compartment is. Cars are Judged on Cleanliness and Condition only. MCA shows have this as a 1,2,3 place awards, You are competing directly against other cars in this class.

Concours: The entire car is judged, engine bay, undercarriage, whatever the Judge can see. Judging is on cleanliness, condition, and Origonallity. Repro parts are allowed. This class is often broken down into Trailered vs Driven classes. Trailered class are held to a higher point standard than Concours Driven and often are judged harder on cleanliness, condition and Origonallity. In MCA shows these classes are awarded Gold, Silver, Bronze, or no award. You could have multiples of each. Your car is being judged against the standard, not the other cars.

Thoroughbred. The saying goes "You can be thorough if you have the bread" The cars are restored to the Nth degree. NOS or restored everything. Date code on all visable coded parts must be within certain dates related to the build of the car. Not to many of these cars. Points are deducted for repro parts. Honestly don't know if these classes are awared 1,2,3 or Gold, Silver, Bronze. Have not dealt with this class.

Unrestored. As the name says. Unrestored. Car can not be fully repainted (only 25 or 35% can be repainted), not to many relpacement parts. Very Rare cars. Honestly don't know if these classes are awared 1,2,3 or Gold, Silver, Bronze. Have not dealt with this class.

Modified: 3 different classes, Including and Excluding Undercarriage, and trailered. Car owner decided which class he wishes to go in, unless the car is trailer, then it obviously goes in trailered. Including/Excluding Undercarriage - in Including the Undercarrage is Judged, in Excluding it's not. Cars are judged on cleaniliness and condition, with points AWARED for modifications. If your car has over 5 sigificant modifications, any structural mods, or a custom interior, your going in modified. A Radio with speakers would be a mod. Wheels would be another, shelby hood another, aftermarket peddles, shifter and whitefaced guages could be considered 1 all together, it really depends on the person classifying the car. A Shely clone would go in a Modified Class. It is easy for someone ot make "minor" mods and wind up in Modified. Modified cars are awarded 1,2,3, so you are directly competing against the other cars in that class.

This does not go into the 74+ classes, because you specifically mentioned you were looking for a pre 73.

If you trailer a car on the day of the show, or to the show site before the show you WILL go into a trailered class, regardless of condition of the car.

Hope this helps, sorry so long

SprintCC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness. Those are the 3 big things that are checked for at ANY show. You're car might not be correct, but you can clean it and touch up areas without taking the car all the way down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts