Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking too replace my worn out 289 with a little more pep. I am def. not looking for something thats a total over kill like a stroker or anything like that. What do u think of this combination? I was thinking about buying a 5.0/302 HO short block from p.a.w and topping it off with edelbrocks performer rpm package. I just get some good zip from that combo without being too much of a overkill correct? I also have a t5 ready too be installed, but i am waiting till I do the engine swap as well. This is going into a 66 coupe by the way. Anyone have any ideas? Or can think of something better. I want something that is quick, not the fastest in town but still gets up and goes. I am not looking too do a stroker because of price. Not that the edelbrock combo is cheap but its affordable.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
302's are really easy to find parts for and are pretty cheap. 351's do definatly have more to work with, but their a little more expensive... but sometimes you can get lucky and find one in the local high school's Auto shop.(been there, done that).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if i can find a 351 for a reasonable price and add the edelbrock package, I would be doing better than the HO engine?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,483 Posts
As long as you're not stroking it, nothing wrong with a 289. You might look into rebuilding what you have. The 289 would be quite happy with the Edelbrock package just like a 5.0 would. If it turns out you can save a chunk of cash this way, then you might invest it in a hot ignition and some exhaust to round out your setup. And when people ask what you you've got in there, you can say "Oh just the 35 year old 289, ntothing much."wink, wink.
If you have the early 5 bolt bellhousing pattern then bolting up a T5 would be very difficult. In that case, the 5.0 sounds like a plan. You might be able to sell your "tired" 289. 5.0's are common as dirt, but they haven't made a 289 since '68.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Concur with Kent...

I've run low 11's in the race car with less engine (no alloy heads back in the 70's/early 80's)...except maybe more C/R...

Trust me, a well built 302 will do everything you want to do...just make sure the rest of the combo (trans/rear/chassis) matches the engine...

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts