Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys go junk yard hopping what tools do you take. Are you stocked with tools to support the primary object you seek or do you have a complete tool chest. Do you have a wagon for transport or just lug everthing back and forth?

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Ive got a small fishing tackle box I load up with tools . A adjustable wrench is a must and I load the box with metric or standard tools depending on what the raid is for . Ill carry a cordless drill with a spot weld cutter if Im after sheet metal . just remember to be nice to the car when you take from it . Just because you don;t want a part thats in your way doesnt mean you should destroy it to get to whats under it :)
Ticks me off when I need a part and the only one in the yard has been removed via a BFH .

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Place where I go, the guy just waves me on in with my little pickup. It's a very large area so that really helps not to have to walk a dadgum mile back and forth! I usually pick up a few horns and under the hood lights and lots of fuses ::
I had to get a brake switch that mounted on the pedal after doing the grananda swap recently and when I showed it to him, he said no charge, I gave him $5 anyway cause I want him to be there when I really need him. There's alot of old fords on the very back lot and he doesn't care if I take stuff from them because he's just gonna crush 'em anyway, he says. :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
I find it interesting that you are able to get into the various scrap yards. In our neck of the woods it is probably easier to break into a bank then to get past the main shop. The yards I frequent will not let you go by yourself. The workers of course will watch you take the parts off and they are not even supposed to do that. Your own tools are not allowed. The reasoning being liability or so they say!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I too find this topic interesting. When I was a kid 25/30 yrs. ago we used to be able to do that but I thought those days were long gone. I wouldn't even think to ask now-a-days. And I also find that comment interesting from dougp from ontario because I recently returned from a trip where I traveled from B.C. through Saskatchewan where I saw many junk yards and dreamed about returning with my tool box and just hitting all those little junk yards looking for mustang parts because I thought the Canadians might be a little more relaxed about that. Thanks for bursting my bubble!! :(
Do you suppose they're are people that travel around and do nothing but hit junk yards looking for desirable restoration parts?? Wouldn't that be fun?? ::

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We actually have a yard here in VA Beach called U-WRENCH-IT. I have not been there yet but from their adds sounds like they let you go get the parts you want. I dont know if that is under the watchfull eye of the employees or not. I plan on checking it out soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts