Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What do you concours guys do with the cowl??

1977 5
Do you (I guess the real hardcore ones) leave it unpainted? Do you paint it a steel-looking color? I guess if its constantly trailered and garaged, it shouldn't be a problem if you don't touch it, it'll just have a little bit of RUST there, slowly, but surely eating away at your car.

I've been wondering this for a while, and haven't been to a real concours show, and now with this new forum, I just had to ask.

Thanks for any insight to this hacked up, used-to-be-a-6 cylinder drivin slob!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
The cowls on all 3ofmy original cars have no rust or bare mettal visable and the paint acctualy looks very good.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Inside the cowl got painted when the outside of the cowl got painted, just not as heavy. I've never seen a low mileage car without paint in the cowl. I think 40 years of wet leaves, dirt, dust, cat hair, etc. collecting inside the cowl go alot farther to causing rust out than lack of paint does.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
well id like to add ( and i am no way a concure car guy) i drive what i buy, but my low miliage 73 coupe has paint overspray as stated by the others, but i have to tell you it also was galvanized ( hot dip zinc) from the factory, im not sure what year they started doing this, but galvanized steel in the right care wont rust, so i would say if you replaced a cowl in your car you could duplicat that by spraying it with galvinized paint ( not the same it just simulates the appearence) then paint the cowl and let it get overspray! just my .02

G

·
Remember that shortly after production began, Ford soon realized that the cowl was subject to flash rust. So, the cowl metal has a galvanized finish, like the rocker panels and frame rails. We never see it because during stripping the galvanized finish is easily removed. I recall that Ford advertised 'x' number of specially coated unibody components. It might be in the Dealer brochure for 65 of 66.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.