Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my car painted and every now and then I will find a small scratch.
What is the normal thing to do. Do you buy the touch up paint from Autozone go to Earl Scheib for the $99.00 paint job, or even Macco. I'M talking about 1 1/2 inches to 1/2 inch. Thanks

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
well it depends. Is it a single stage paint or two-stage paint job? If the latter, is the scratch in the clear coat only, or does it go into or thorugh the base coat to the primer?

If it is a two stage paint job and the scratch is just in the clear coat, you can wet sand and buff it out. If it is single stage and the scratch does not extend into the primer, you may be able to wet sand and buff it out.

I would not repaint the entire car for a few scratches (wait a minute, I think I did that). Let me re-phrase, I would not put a $100 paint job on any mustang. I've used the touch up bottles of paint that apply like nail polish. The color match is pretty good for factory colors. However, the texture is all wrong. I use this product for things like door jambs and other areas that are not very visable. I would not use it on panels.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If the scratch is light enough you can buff it out with a little elbow grease and good polishing wax. If it's too deep for just a buff, wet sanding with a very, very, very light touch and minimum 1000 grit sandpaper followed by a polish with an orbital machine will bring out a nice shine. Did I mention you need a light touch with the sand paper? If the scratch goes deeper then the color coat it will have to be wet sanded smooth and repainted, but no need to do the whole car, spot painting can be done by a compitant shop and blended into the existing paint so you'll not see it.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Toothpaste and a very soft cloth will get out most light scratches. Just make sure you dont get the paste with the flavor crystals in it! Wet the cloth and go in small circles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Managed dealer shops here . Are they scuffs or scratches ? If it's a deep scratch i would get a cheap strippers brush and fill it in with multi coats . Take your time and trim brush up to work it in scatch and not on top surface of surrounding area . Then a light wet sand like said prior light with 1000 grit or even 1500 . It will hide very well if time is taken . Did it like this for customer's and it beat painting a panel and they were happy also .

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,246 Posts
For touching up single stage paint I go to my local PPG shop. They will mix a couple of ounces of paint for around $8. Last I bought some, I understand paint prices have risen again though. They usually only offer this service to used car dealers and such. They don't advertise this. The matches I have gotten have been pretty close but it's pretty darn hard to get a good match with such a small quantity.
The stuff you get at parts stores in little bottles and spray cans is often "lacquer" paint. Not a bad thing in itself but on some enamels and uncured paints it can attack and wrinkle the paint on the edges of a scratched area. This sucks worse than the original scratch. The PPG stuff doesn't do this.
Now if you have a two-stage or clearcoat/basecoat paint job, I don't know.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I've always had luck with minor touch ups using a 10/0 brush from Michaels. They're about 5 hairs in size and maybe 1/8 long for minor detail. If your touch paint is thick, thin it out a little and run a line of paint down the scratch. Keep a wet rag handy to wipe up if you slip a little. Remember, always thin out your touch up paint, it flows much better in the scratch..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts