Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bottles they give you for gear oil obviously don't fit trying to fill up a manual transmission. The last time I did this, I used a really small oiling can that has a hand pump - but it took me probably 15 refills of the little pump before the transmission was finally full. Is there a better way of doing this?

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I fill my toploader by taking off the shifter boot and running a hose down from the inside of the car to the plug on the side of the tranny. Then I stick a funnel in the hose and poor the juice in. No mess, no fuss.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I use the heavy duty gear oil, 90-W140? I had heard that the synthetics may cause the synchros not to stay engaged. Works great, and I love the smell of gear oil. I must have gasoline in my blood. hehehe

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45832220.gif

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I used the same pump which comes with a square (cubical) bottle. I think Pep Boys sells 'em.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I used what I've alwayed called a rose gun. It's just a suction device that you can get at any parts place like pepboys or autozone.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66gt350 on 04/05/01 06:53 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I use the same pump as Jpony645 and Dean T. The pump is
available at Kragen or Pep-boys or just about any parts store.
I do use the Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil in the track cars and
the street cars with no problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i use the hose method also, only i run it though my engine compartment instead of inside the car. works fine for me.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I use short clear hose on bottle cap and then wedge the bottle under car somewhere (can't remember, maybe between tunnel and tranny). With the clear hose to see when oil is not flowing anymore because of vacuum created inside bottle. Then just let the bottle down to have air and then wedge the bottle somewhere again. This is also great time to look at bottom of the car, which usually means that I forget to watch out tranny being overfilled, so there is always gearoil on floor:)

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 9 of 9 Posts