Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for my first Mustang and I’ve this one in mind

Is a 66 289, might be an origianl GT pack but I’ve to check engine model first.
They are asking €30k. What do you reckon?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Looks nice and clean. Do they have any documentation of the work that was done? any pics of the car being restored? If it is rust free go for it. Would be nice if you had pics of it stripped to bare metal. Probably not a real GT though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thks cmfly.
According to the seller the car was restored inside out in USA but they dont have any documentation nor pics (how typical in imported cars!)
The engine has been “restored” by them over here so i expect at least a list of the work done

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Have you seen the car, or just photos? I'd get a look underneath. I found Bondo in one of my frame-rails back when I bought it... but I only paid $3200 for my car... then came the restoration.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That sounds like a good price. Even better considering it's been imported.

That said, you still want to go look at it in person and check out the underside.

Look up under the dash, and under the lip around the trunk.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It might be a GT. It is NOT an original pony interior car. Should have woodgrain wheel, woodgrain on console, glove box and cluster. The might be GT comes from the Disc Brake single pot master cylinder. Lots of other items need to be checked to get a better feel.
And it has a lot of Shelby dress up items on a coupe. If you like the look that's good.

I don't know the market in Europe but for 30K Euro it better be absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Car looks nice but as someone has posted, it is a might be GT. Having imported 2 cars from the US, I would suggest to look for a good decent one in the States and go ahead and import it, you will be saving a lot of money. 30K is too much for a coupe, even it is clean and half GT packaged.

My 2¢

Josep

Reactions: oscarnielsen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx you all.
I do have doubts about the car being a GT too, it has some of the things but not all. If it had an A engine model then it could be a GT, but i’ve to check that in person.
I prefer and original one but the Shelby pieces are ok to me except the actual line along the sides,i think it could be removed without damaging the paint though.
Regarding rust i fully agree with you, i’ll have to check it out carefully, paint looks pretty recent and could hide the ghost.
My position right now is if it were a real GT and no rust I would go for it with a little price negotiation if possible.
If it is not a GT and has not rust then I wouldnt offer more than 25k
If rust, i’d keep looking for another one over here or maybe think about importing a clean one from USA.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm not familiar with values in Europe but converted to US Dollars its pretty darn expensive coupe at approximately $33,000USD. I'd consider mine nicer and I would probably pee my pants if someone offered me anything near that price.

·
Registered
330 Posts
To the extent this car is still a contender after your rust inspection, note that the center floor console is the one Ford typically installed with factory Air Conditioning. That car does not have evidence of a former A/C having been installed so the console is most likely a prior owner "improvement". Note that I characterized this observations as "typically". In case the seller asserts that certain equipment was original factory equipment, the burden is on the seller to provide legitimate documentation "proving" his claims. Absent proper documents, you would be wise to discount the offer price to exclude any enhancements that have no provenance. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve just received more info about the car, it is definetely not a GT original, it has a 289 C model engine according to VIN 6R07C15....
Seems thats the car has received various upgrades along the way such as front foglights, valance-through exhaust, de luxe reupholstery, short console, cobra dress kit, GT350 badging, wheels and scoops.
I like the look of the car but it is obviously not very original so the price should be lower even if it were rust free.
What would be the aproximate price of this car in USA?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Price depends on how much rust and bondo. With today’s exchange rates it’s way overpriced.
I’d want to see the invoices for work performed.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The value of most of these old cars is in the quality of the paint and body work underneath the paint. If the car was stripped to bare metal and all the rust repaired it is a steal at the asking price. You can not build one for that price. If the car was not stripped to bare metal you have a good chance that in a few years you will start to see some rust bubbles appearing in the normal areas. Look at the body gaps are they the same width? do the doors ,fenders ,hood,trunk all line up good? Doors open and close nice? If the undercarriage and floors are solid and clean with no rust in the cowl that car is worth an easy $23,000.-$25,000 Most people have no idea how much labor it takes to properly paint a car. You can easily have 1000 to 2000 labor hours into a build. Look the car over closely and take someone else with you to inspect it. Use your best judgement.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quite honestly in the US Id be surprised if that car could fetch $20,000 unless it was one of those consignors that seem to lure in every sucker that passes by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My husband bought me a 65 289 GT convertible. It has 40K original miles on it and it is all original. It is in great shape as it does need some love but it isn't that bad at all. It needs a paint job and a top and the console polished or cleaned. The seats are pony interior and are fine with no tears. It runs since I've gotten her and everything works on her. My husband looked at the pictures of all the floor panels that were done and also looked at it in person. The pictures of the floor panels were good and the car was on a lift for the pics. I know that he checked all about the GT's to make sure that it was an original GT. I have the order sheet from the dealer of everything that previous owner ordered along with where it was being made. I also have the pay off loan paper and the original key for it. I am the 2nd owner as I bought if from the original owner. My husband paid 13K for mine. I don't know if it is a good price but it is enjoyable and mustang people say I have a real gem and to hold on to her. This is my first mustang and my husbands first ford so it is new for both of us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts