Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making custom door panels for my 66 that I have decided to Restomod. This is the prototype my guy just finished up for me, and brought by for my approval last week. It has the built in door pulls like the pony door panels, and a custom brushed aluminum inlay similar to the 67 deluxe interiors.

The door panels are built around the original masonite backs used on the standard door panels, this way they can be mounted to the doors just like the originals. They are very solid once they are completely assembled and has the extra center brace for the door pulls similar to the pony panels. I may cover the panels in black vinyl that will be vacuumed formed around the door panels to fit all of the curves without seams, but I may leave them painted black as I haven't thought that far in advance just yet.

I will be finishing them off with a set of billet aluminum door and window cranks, and my own version of a custom pony door light that will be mounted in the lower rear portion of the door panel itself. The rest of the interior is being built around these panels, so you can imagine how I have been patiently waiting for these to get done!

If all goes well... you should see my plans for the rear-view mirror I have in mind that doubles as a regular mirror when off, and as a LCD screen screen when turned on. The mini camera will be hidden in the tail panel, probably right above the license plate. ;)

Also just found a set of "real" vintage 45's that I think will be complimenting the outside instead of the centerlines I had set aside! Things are coming along quite nicely, just wished I had it more together than in thousands of pieces all over my garage. :p

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/30894345.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
very nice :)cant wait to see them mounted on the door. ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You should really go full bore into custom plastic interior pieces....I'd bet it'd mushroom into a full blown business!!

Pillar guage pods for all years

door panels including speaker options

interior quarters that are setup for speakers

plastic package trays that wouldnt rot (for less than the fiberglass ones)

EVEN THICK PLASTIC DASH TOPS THAT REPLACE ORIGINALS!!! IF YOU SOLD 69/70 PLASTIC REPLACEMENTS FOR 150 BUCKS, YOU'D PROBABLY MAKE A KILLING!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sweet!!!!!

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should really go full bore into custom plastic interior pieces....I'd bet it'd mushroom into a full blown business!!
My work already does this for a full time business, and we make several custom plastic & fiberglass pieces, and will be getting into cast aluminum before the end of the year.

In the works!

Don't see a need since I already cover kick panels and package trays with speakers for all years!

Have plans for convertibles in the near future

[/i]plastic package trays that wouldnt rot (for less than the fiberglass ones)[/i]
Already making them for coupes thru 68. Later years are on the drawing board

EVEN THICK PLASTIC DASH TOPS THAT REPLACE ORIGINALS!!! IF YOU SOLD 69/70 PLASTIC REPLACEMENTS FOR 150 BUCKS, YOU'D PROBABLY MAKE A KILLING!!
Wouldn't be cost effective for replacement plastic pads. We do sell plastic covers for 69/70's for $105 that look quite nice if that will do! ;)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
My work already does this for a full time business, and we make several custom plastic & fiberglass pieces, and will be getting into cast aluminum before the end of the year.

In the works!

Don't see a need since I already cover kick panels and package trays with speakers for all years!

Have plans for convertibles in the near future

[/i]plastic package trays that wouldnt rot (for less than the fiberglass ones)[/i]
Already making them for coupes thru 68. Later years are on the drawing board

Wouldn't be cost effective for replacement plastic pads. We do sell plastic covers for 69/70's for $105 that look quite nice if that will do! ;)

Ok, bubba.....if I may be so bold, youre thinking like Bill gates....maybe thats good for profit though :)

YOU dont see a need for door panels with speakers.....that doesnt say anything about the customer's desires!!!! Maybe I dont want kick panel speakers in my 70 and want custom door panels with speakers (admittedly thin ones).

How could a plastic dash pad not be cost effective? what would make manufacturing one so expensive?

Do you realize just what kind of market there could be for 69/70 owners to replace their dash pad with one that costs half of the ripooff replacements currently run?

I'm really really not trying to heckle you....I'm showing you your perceptions of what would sell may or may not be truth.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, bubba.....if I may be so bold, youre thinking like Bill gates....maybe thats good for profit though :)

YOU dont see a need for door panels with speakers.....that doesnt say anything about the customer's desires!!!! Maybe I dont want kick panel speakers in my 70 and want custom door panels with speakers (admittedly thin ones).

How could a plastic dash pad not be cost effective? what would make manufacturing one so expensive?

Do you realize just what kind of market there could be for 69/70 owners to replace their dash pad with one that costs half of the ripooff replacements currently run?

I'm really really not trying to heckle you....I'm showing you your perceptions of what would sell may or may not be truth.
Your right there may be a market for door panels with speakers, this I do not know. But I do tend to listen.... To folks on the VMF, and many other forums I browse. I often here about kick panels for speakers and package trays with speakers and for 3rd brake lights. I also have heard folks mention how they would like to be able to custom their sounds by being able to add component speakers to their kick panels instead of being stuck with a single 6" etc. So I came up with these;

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_3b3040a19fbe2585f22c24d18d83eb54/i-1.JPG

As far as the door panels with speakers, I guess I just haven't heard anyone talk about them on any of the forums I visit

By the dash pad being cost effective, I mean I would have to sell quite a few to make it worth while because yes, the production cost would be up there! I don't think I could make and sell them for $150 and still be able to have a comfortable margin to play with, unless I trimmed back on some of quality aspects, but we don't need more junk out there, especially when there is a nice plastic cap that looks great on the 69/70 dash pads for $105 bucks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Whiz,
Those look sweet, what would be the chances of getting a pair of those when I get back from HAN? I've got all kinds of interior stuff waiting to install and those would match perfectly. Let me know when youll have them ready to sell and how much, THANKS! -matt

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
OOO, Nice! Now if there was a way to customize a '65/'66 door so the low mount '68 door release handle could be used...

Heh-heh, already thinking of customizing a custom part! But that will have to wait for another Mustang project.

Keep up the good work!

Dean T

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm with RaSMG, Those would look good with my instrument panel and glove box door, with brushed aluminum. Any chance these will be available to the public? I've been thinking about the other door panels you carry, but I like the idea of the Pony type door pulls, and the aluminum panels better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts