Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have asked before, but I am narrowing it down. My car is 1970 Boss 302 stock motor with headers, and cam.
I am currently running a Crane F-260, 106 lobe sep, 260 duration @ .050, and .639 lift on int/exh. I am looking at replacing it with the crane PowerMax F-278, 114 lobe sep, duration @ .050 int 238 / exh 248, lift int .553 / exh. .576.

My goal is to make this a more streetable motor, so I can drive it more often. Any of you that might be running this cam please let me know, and also if you might recommend a different cam profile.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That's the cam family I'm going to use for my 351C buildup!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well the 114 degree lobe separation will help in that area....

The cam is still agressive and should be kept a mechanical lifter
configuration. (the BOSS 302 valves are large and you need that precision and high revving reliability.

One good person to talk to is Scott at cam research

www.camresearch.com they will even break the cam in for you

they can custom make a cam for your boss 302 engine to suit your needs.

regards
Roberto

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
About the same size cam I ran in the race car 302W, except with more lift...still emminently streetable with a reliable valvetrain...

Far and away a better choice than prior cam, which is a 5.43 and up rear gear cam made to run in the 5-8K range...

I'd run 4.30's or 4.57's with your choice...I run 5.14's in the race car but with a 31" tire...

Enjoy the Boss, hoss *G*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts