Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to pull the 64½ out of the r.v area around to the garage so I can get ready to pull the engine. Where it is parked now is gravel, and not to friendly with the engine hoist. I've pushed this thing in and out of the r.v. parking a couple of times, not fun by yourself, but in 108 degree weather, I'm looking for the easist way.

There is no brakes on this thing, and I don't want to stick any $$ into them just so I can drive the car once about 200ft. They are coming out anyway, once the engine is pulled. As I mention, it has sat for 5 years. Do you think if I fill the resevoir and bleed the brakes, they will hold long enough to get me to the other side of the property? The resevoir is bone dry and I really don't care to waste fluid on this thing if it won't make a bit of difference. So would the resevor be shot sitting dry this long?

I could just drive it with no brakes, and hope nothng gets in the way...NOT! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
I've got to many cars around that I would hate to have to use as my stopping power! *G*

Any other suggestions that would be easy for one person to get it over there safely without pushing it and dieing of heat stroke would be great!

BTW, I almost took out one of my other mustangs today (missed by one foot), when my 7 year old son wanted to hear the engine run, when my knee it the shifter by accident and knocked it into reverse! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. Knocked over a tool box behind the stang, and thank goodness my son was standing off to the side..... Whew! And you guessed it. No emergency either.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You got to have some old brake fluid hanging around. I always have an old open bottle or two that I wont use in the car, but have not thrown out yet. If the swstem has a few small leaks in it, it may bleed itself. I have had this happen a lot. I would try it. Eaven if you have to buy new fluid, its cheeper then a bumper, or a quater panel.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to use my lawn tractor to push around bodies..... Just mounted an old tire on the front and it worked great. those old bodies don't roll the best, so if you go slow it shouldn't be much of a problem.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif What! Give up .50¢....That's asking an awful lot! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey can I borrow your tractor? Mines in the shop /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Maybe I can get my son and his friends to pull me with their bikes hehe!

I guess I'll just see if the m/c is any good and fill her up. Either I will stop before I get to my destination point, or the wife will be getting that new addition to the den as she has been wanting! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks All!!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If the ground is level I'd just drive it without brakes. But I'd go at a SUPER SLOW crawl to make sure the car doesn't pick up speed and get away from me. Or perhaps drive uphill and if you have a downhill do whatever you did before....

Chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
To bad you don't live near me. I just tossed a almost full gallen jug of it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When I got my parts 66 it had been sitting for 5 years. I filled the MC and found a leak. Rear lines. With A set of diagonal pliers and a good grip I put a crimp in the line going to the rear. Brakes enough to drive around the yard. Don't even bleed, its not worth the time, unless you are going to race to the other area.

Also when I bleed the brakes, I save what comes out just for a time like yours. I wouldn't use it in a street car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts