Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Radar
I'm a minimalist when it comes to using "products" in the interior. I think it's counterproductive, and unnecessary. For cleaning, I only use whatever it takes to easily get things clean, and in some cases that means just a damp microfiber.. That's right, water. That's all you need to dust and clean minor grime.
This^^^^. (y) (y)

Registered
This^^^^. (y) (y)
That is why I like the Chemical Guys Nonsense Invisible. Seems like a mild water base cleaner.
From their site;

Nonsense will completely change the way you think about all surface cleaners! Generic cleaners contain coloring agents that stain or damage and caustic fumes that contaminate surfaces and harm the user. Nonsense breaks down coffee, grease, wine, pet, and food stains in seconds. Color free, odorless, and pH-balanced, Nonsense is designed for the safest and most pleasurable user experience possible.

Maybe a little spritz behind the ears too!馃榿

Registered
I use a damp cloth as needed and Pledge a couple times a year.

No issues

Reactions: myfirstcar66

Registered
Stay away from ArmorAll !!!
This is the product I use. I purchase it from a detail shop in the gallon jug for economic reasons.

View attachment 803177
Yep this stuff is great! Where I work we have tons of dust (its a concrete plant) and the dust gets all over in the interior of the cabs of our trucks. It seems like any cleaner will make the interior look nice while its wet but as soon as it dries you see all the dust marks on the finish. This stuff will give the surface a clean, like new finish.

Registered
1966 Coupe C Code
I avoid armor all just for the fact that it鈥檚 greasy. I use water based stuff for vinyl/rubber. Can鈥檛 stand the greasy feel on seats. I don鈥檛 like a glossy finish, just a nice satin shine. If you have greasy tires, dirt and brake dust will stick to it more so than if you have a dry 鈥渄ressing鈥 applied. I鈥檓 not committed anymore to just one brand, I like a variety. I鈥檝e been using P&S Shine All with good results lately.

Detailing is another rabbit hole one can fall far into.

Registered
For severely grimy vinyl surfaces (picture the driver's door panel in a diesel mechanic's daily driver) I've had amazing results from the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I don't know what's in it but it works shockingly well.

That said, I can't see many VMF users letting their cars getting dirty enough to need it.

Registered
1966 Coupe C Code
For severely grimy vinyl surfaces (picture the driver's door panel in a diesel mechanic's daily driver) I've had amazing results from the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I don't know what's in it but it works shockingly well.

That said, I can't see many VMF users letting their cars getting dirty enough to need it.
Cleans whitewall tires really well also. Better than the new Black Magic formula Bleche White.

Registered
I will say this for Simple Green...it is one of the BEST engine (and other parts) degreasers I have ever seen and works very well when cleaning rubber mats or the heavy duty truck vinyl floors. And it smells really good, almost like a new car smell. You could spray some on a cloth and just leave it in the car somewhere and it smells really nice. I don't think it would be a good idea to use or leave on colored vinyl though because it does break up oils, and vinyl is a petroleum product.
Simple Green can play havoc with aluminum and anodized aluminum in particular. It's probably okay on an aluminum intake as they are not a precision finish anyway. I would not use it on polished aluminum wheels or similar finishes.

I just bought some WypAll pre-moistened towels for cleaning my hands and tools. I find they also work very well to remove sunscreen residue from vinyl and leather. These things are awesome:

Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
303 Protectant. Leaves a nice low luster natural look. Great on tires.

Registered
I use 303 as well. Do Not use Armor All on convertible tops, especially the plastic windows. Makes them brittle. My top is dated 1998 and it's still soft and the windows clear. Ragg Topp works well too. Tires, Armor All is fine. Meguiars leather cleaner and protection is good. Lexol is better, but expensive.

Perry

Registered
What did the Simple Green do? I haven't used it on my Mustang but I have used it on other cars, with no detrimental effect (so far....)
It made the upholstery sticky which really sucked and then tried to remove stickiness with Comet and a brush and then resprayed. Lasted about a year. Was able to respray touch-ups for a number of years then upholstery got too brittle.

Registered
1970 Mach 1 (Calypso Coral/white, 351C 4V, WR Toploader, 3.25 T-lok, discs, ps, slats, spoiler)
303 Cleaner and Protectant on the vinyl and rubber of everything I own. Keeps everything conditioned and provides a nice matte sheen.

VMF Ambassador
I use a wet rag to do my initial wipedown - my interior is always covered in dirt and grime because, you know, I use my car as a daily and also camp out of it. Water mostly does the trick though. Sometimes a soft toothbrush-texture scrub brush is good for getting dirt out of the grain.

A few times a year I use the Meguiar's vinyl/rubber cleaner/conditioner mentioned earlier in this thread. It's mostly just important on the dash where the summer sun really cooks the dashpad.

Reactions: Banks

Registered
I've been using Griots Interior Cleaner for a number of years on all my cars. Spray it on a microfiber and wipe everything down. I use it on everything inside except the glass.

Registered
This is what I use mostly. When my DD gets dirtier I鈥檒l use steam too. Since I drive mostly on nice summer days I like having the UV protection afforded by these products.

Registered
I use a wet cloth to wipe the vinyl down and then a small amount of Dawn if a wet cloth doesn't get the surface clean. For conditioning I use either Lemon Pledge or Weimans leather conditioner.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

Registered
I use what Ford recommended.... mild soap and water. For "mild" soap, I use a few drops of Dawn.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks everybody for all your input -- looking forward to doing the interior this weekend.

Registered
My seats are in good condition and my dash is so-so. Anything particular I should stayaway from?
highly recommend Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 40 vinyl&rubber cleaner/conditioner. non-silicone based, nice sheen...not shiny, great on tires, ABS, rubber and interiors. renews black materials.
tried several others before a detailer told me about the product. always does the job and i'm particular Dman

21 - 40 of 48 Posts