Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 1968 Mustang. I have decoded the car and I am trying to understand the interior trim. The interior of my car has Nugget Gold vinyl bucket seat but there is also information saying 2Y - 6Y is used with decor group(my car is 2Y). What does this mean? (The exterior paint is highland green if this info is also needed) I want to buy floor mats for the car but am not sure which to buy because I dont completely understand which mats the car should have. I have given a link to pictures of the car to help.
Thanks for the help,
Nicole
link to pictures

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The interior decor group is what is more commonly referred to as the "pony" interior. In '65-'66, the option added woodgrain inserts into the dash, special seat covers with running horse logos, and different door panels. I think there were a few other little things like that. I'm not sure what all was included for '67 or '68, but someone here is sure to.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It was only "pony" interior in 65-66 because of the running horses on the seat-backs. No horses on the seats after that.
Sorry, can't help with the codes, i don't have my mustang books wioth me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Mustang Restoration Handbook lists the 1967 Interior Décor Group as including a roof-mounted console with two map lights in the center. It goes on to say that the Luxury Interior Décor Group option included molded armrests in the door panels set off with a brushed aluminum trim panel. Courtesy lights in the doors and brushed aluminum trim in the instrument panel and center console. It also said that with a hatchback, the package included padded rear-quarter trim panels.

In 1968 the Interior Décor Group was a bit different…instead of the brushed aluminum you had wood grained veneer around the instrument panel and center console. Door panels became two-tone with wood grain appliqués. The break and clutch pedals got a chrome trim and fancy chrome rectangular buttons in the seat backs.

I’m more familiar with the 65 and 66” “Pony” interior, but the 67’s brushed aluminum looked good too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The '67 deluxe/decor interior also came with the chrome trim on the pedals and had a single retangular button on each seat. The '68 decor interior also had the roof-mounted console. It also included a dash clock, grilles on the lower door halves, coutesy lights in the doors, and a 'deluxe' vinyl covered t-bar like the '67 decor group.
The center console was not included in both the '67 or '68 decor interior, and had to be ordered seperately
I really like the '67 decor interior, especially in dark colored interior.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
It's obvious from your pic that you have a 1968 with standard bucket seats (2) that are Nugget Gold (Y).
Very nice looking by the way !

Floor mats would probably be black !

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The 68 deluxe interior, in addition to the woodgrain on the dash had a woodgrain/color coded wheel, different door panels with a woodgrain insert, door grab handles with woodgrain on the ends, different armrests, lower door grilles with lights, decorative "bars" on the seat backs, deluxe seat belts. Not sure but cpes and fastbacks may have had a roof console, too.

With the nuggget gold interior, would go with brown pony mats. Laurie's car has nugget gold interior, she would have the correct answer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help. In searching for floor mats at different venders I have come across 3 different styles 1) colored rubber pony floor mats 2) carpet floor mats with embroidered running horse logo and 3) carpet floor mats without embroidered running horse logo. Why so many differences? If I want to go for originality which do I choose?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts