Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you want to make a true vintage-style wheel, why not just DO the original. Those wheels were never on a vintage Trans-Am Mustang. In 1969 they ran American 200-S and in 1970-72 the ran Minilites. Those 6-spokes look like a cheaper option for current vintage racing. Out of place.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sex sells but that sexy boss nor the blond is selling that to me
call me :loco: but I like my spokes evenly dividable by my lug nuts :|

Personally, I find that any decision based on my nuts turns out bad, so yes I do think you are :loco: but I would call it an affirmation of a long held belief ;o)

I love the Minilite wheels from the trans am days

+1 ^^^

Nothing looks bad on a '69/70 fastback, so I wouldn't give too much credence to the trans am wheels, I wouldn't spend a buck on them, not my thing.

I am however willing to applaud any alternatives to the ubiquitous been-there-done-that-got-a-drawer-full-o-tshirts Torque thrusts - BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING and totally lacking in imagination even if they do look good.

I would do affordable 8x16" Minilites in a heartbeat. I wish wheels weren't so frigg'n expensive. They should be like shoes; "HMMMM, I'm feel'n AR Daises (a personal fav) today, or its date-night - Magnum 500 dress shoes for a spint'n'polish look or autocross day - minilite running shoes definitely or even, its show day at the fairgrounds, think I'll run my TTDs to feed my Lemming side - so I look like EVERY-OTHER-FRIGG'n-MUSCLE-CAR-ON-THE-GRASS...

I'm working with my psychologist to be able to express an opinion, its hard for me...

Thanks for asking!

M

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Super niche product.

Not very stylish, but might be good for someone looking for a retro look.

I think the market for those wheels are aging and young folks will pass on them.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
An affordable 6 spoke like this would get my attention. Thinner spokes than your sample (as some others have suggested), hides the lugs to appear pin drive. BRM "Style" reminiscent of some GT40's. Bonus points for easy to clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
First, let me echo the thanks for thinking about new products to the market! I have been planning minilites and love the transam inspiration! I like the idea of a chunky, spiked wheel - but that image is a little too boring for me. I would love to see something with a little more detail. See image below from MMI website to see what I’m talking about.

And definitely need to include larger sizes and widths! 17” and 18” for sure. Also include wider options, remember that transam style guys may very likely have flares!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minilites are very TransAm to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Personally, I find that any decision based on my nuts turns out bad, so yes I do think you are :loco: but I would call it an affirmation of a long held belief ;o)

+1 ^^^

Nothing looks bad on a '69/70 fastback, so I wouldn't give too much credence to the trans am wheels, I wouldn't spend a buck on them, not my thing.

I am however willing to applaud any alternatives to the ubiquitous been-there-done-that-got-a-drawer-full-o-tshirts Torque thrusts - BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING and totally lacking in imagination even if they do look good.

I would do affordable 8x16" Minilites in a heartbeat. I wish wheels weren't so frigg'n expensive. They should be like shoes; "HMMMM, I'm feel'n AR Daises (a personal fav) today, or its date-night - Magnum 500 dress shoes for a spint'n'polish look or autocross day - minilite running shoes definitely or even, its show day at the fairgrounds, think I'll run my TTDs to feed my Lemming side - so I look like EVERY-OTHER-FRIGG'n-MUSCLE-CAR-ON-THE-GRASS...

I'm working with my psychologist to be able to express an opinion, its hard for me...

Thanks for asking!

M
Hey Guys,

We actually do offer very affordable Minilite-style wheels in both 16x7" and 16x8" that we custom drill and backspace to the customers specifications.

Check them out here:

16x7"
https://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-16-x-7-Custom-Drilled-12mm_p_95.html

16x8"
https://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-16-x-8-Custom-Drilled-0mm_p_139.html

please let us know what you guys think or if you have any comments.

Thanks again.
@dobrostang so when you getting them :shrug:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Guys,

We actually do offer very affordable Minilite-style wheels in both 16x7" and 16x8" that we custom drill and backspace to the customers specifications.

Check them out here:

16x7"

https://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-16-x-7-Custom-Drilled-12mm_p_95.html

16x8"

https://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-16-x-8-Custom-Drilled-0mm_p_139.html

please let us know what you guys think or if you have any comments.

Thanks again.

No just add an inch or two and I’m interested...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"Don’t worry about Tony, he hates everything. "

Speak for yourself Blake... I just have better taste...lol...

And "No", I don't hate everything...

I just hate things that don't look like they belong there....lol...

Like for instance, Fon an example, "Mini-Lites" look like they belong because they were actually used in '69-'71 Trans-Am Racing... I'm guessing that's kind of the look that this wheel is trying to emulate.. It's not a horrible wheel, It's just that they can do better.

I'm a big fan of Modern Wheels, as long as they look good and work well, and don't work against the looks or the mechanical ability of the car, No matter what car that they may be on...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a fan,just another5 spoke and there are way to many already.Check out Rota wheels RKR wheel for a modern take on minilites.Unfortunatly they don't have correct BS for early mustangs.To bad because they could sell a bunch of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To VTO Wheels, I don't care for the look of that wheel.

To those looking for Minilite look take a look at Trans Am Race Engineering. A variety of 15" and 17" sizes and BCP with good offsets and backspacing for vintage Mustangs. They also use steel lug inserts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
An affordable 6 spoke like this would get my attention. Thinner spokes than your sample (as some others have suggested), hides the lugs to appear pin drive. BRM "Style" reminiscent of some GT40's. Bonus points for easy to clean.
^ this speaks to me.

Im going for the TA style with my coupe, very much dont like torque thrusts which the minilites are to similar to, and would like 17's. I like a simple, updated retro style and thought I'd have to live with some 15" sheby 10 spoke type things.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts