Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Wow, quite the damage it created.

Yeah I figured that may be the issue for going with the slip style on your setup. I never had to BFH my floor, but it did hit once with 4 of us in the car and I hit a bump really hard. I am running the HD leafs though, so I am a bit higher than stock in the rear.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
BlakeTX, you got me thinking I should center my rear.

I see you are running the US Mags Rambler wheels right? What size / offset are you running in the rear, anything special to compensate for the shorter rear end?

Thanks!

-Beau

*edit

Oh wait you have an earlier car so you had to shorten the rear. Never mind!

·
Dimples
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No problem on the thread hijack. Carnage pics go a long way to help. :)

As far as centering the pinion, from what I?ve heard, lots of people are running it unmodified in 67+ cars without issue. I would try and make that work if I could.

The wheels are 4.5in backspace, so if you did narrow the housing, you could do the math and subtract 1.5in from each side.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Tons of 4x4 and G-body shops selling bolt-in 8.8 axles pretty cheap for those platforms. How come nobody does for vintage Fords? I'd pay $1000-$1200 for a bolt in 8.8 with brakes. Someone with a good line on brake parts and a decent shop setup could probably make OK money doing that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The first time I was on a closed course in Mexico, really laying into it at just over 70mph.

The second time it happened during a dyno pull.

Blake, now that it's fresh in your mind. Did you have to use different centering pins in your leaf spring packs, or were the holes in the perches you bought sized correctly? I swapped my rear in many years ago, but I seem to remember there being some slop there. Maybe my rear end is in cockeyed?

I'm saving up a couple dollars then I'm going to take it to the local mustang guys for some measurements. I ran this rear end just as it is with the stock I6 and the the turbo 2.3s, it only started breaking after the 2J swap. Makes me think it has to be the DS itself or something is out of alignment. I'm considering fabbing a 2-piece DS in there to raise the critical speed.

·
Dimples
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine centered on the leafs just fine. No wiggle at all.

2-piece drive shaft seems kind of crazy, but you have the market cornered on crazy driveline, so I say go for it. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
In the process of doing mine as well, but fortunately for me I can take off most of your 1st 3 prices; I parted out the truck and actually made money, so a free rear axle, I shortened it myself, and paid $25 for a short axleshaft- otherwise almost identical to yours. The other thing I did was found the lower leaf plates from Speedway Motors that fit the axle, had the right U-Bolt width, and shock mount tabs. Mine's done too, just waiting for the car to come back from paint so I can shoehorn it in! Yours turned out really nice!

BTW- since you weren't technically asking any questions and I responded, I hope I don't get schooled about it by a lurking bystander.......
Do you know what part number the shock plates were?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I looked back at my order history as I was drawing a blank. That's when I remembered I didn't like the fit of the plates, so ordered the Ron Morris plates like I have on my '66 GT350.
You can find them for less at a few different places, but here's the direct source....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On my 8.8 swap into a 66 coupe I used these plates from summit

Used these leaf spring perches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
As for the brake hoses, it?s all stock explorer stuff. The extra hose is for the vent tube.
[/QUOTE]

I just am buttoning up mine after doing the same thing. I noticed that your driver side brake hose looks quite a bit longer than mine. Mine doesn’t reach the hard line in the stock location. Mine axle came out of a 97 2wd. Is yours a different year, or was the replacement from autozone noticeable longer?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The stock width Explorer rear end is perfect in a 65/66 if you want to run SN95 bullet wheels without spacers.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The stock width Explorer rear end is perfect in a 65/66 if you want to run SN95 bullet wheels without spacers.

That's what I have been thinking about. What is the backspacing of those wheels? Those were on 94-98 mustangs weren't they? I'm not a fan of or know a whole lot about the later mustangs.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts