Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got a problem. when key is turned to start the car, nothing. When i bump the motor over with a screw driver at the starter relay, it turns over but the + post of the relay gets hot real quick and smokes. needless to say i didn't hold the screwdriver on long. Ok, so when the key is on, i have a spark in the coil (checked by pulling + wire from coil and holding it close to the post and it arcs). Does anything ignition related go through the fuse panel by chance? i put a new style fuse box onto my existing underdash wiring so i thought i would ask. What would cause the relay + post to get hot and smoke within 2 seconds when bumped over? the neutral safety switch is plugged in correctly and worked before i had my underdash wiring out of the car. needless to say, i took the wiring out from under the dash w/alt wiring connected (one piece harness) to redo the fuse box and when i put it back in i have nothing, but it started up before i did all of this. hope someone can help cause i posted yesterday with no replies. oh and i checked the ignition switch connector and it is connected right.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The question is, do you have 12V on the front SMALL terminal of the solenoid when the key is in the START position?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
check your neutral safety switch if this is not hooked up or is bad then the car will not start from the key. bypass the neutral safety switch and try again

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i bypass the neutral safety switch?? havent' done that before. would simply unplugging the connector in which the dash/underhood harness attaches to the safety switch harness be bypassing it? i will check on that 12V on the relay, but which is the SMALL post? they are the same size. OK, there is a post that faces the front of the car which the + battery cable and the O-ring terminal attach to and on the other side of the relay is only the post that has the starter cable attached. On the front of the relay is the I (ignition) and the S (starter) posts. the I and the S are the same size and the two larger posts are the same size respectively.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, if simply unplugging the connectors at the safety switch is bypassing the neutral safety switch then it still doesn't work. I sure hope this isn't a DUFUS that is causing all the problems. Oh, my voltmeter is currently out of order (someone blew the fuse).

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
you just unplug your harness coming up from the transmission it is at the firewall it has four contacts in it two are for the neutral safety switch and the other two are for your reverse lights just unplug the harness coming up from the trans and then take and jumper the two contacts together at the firewall jumper both sets just to make sure you get the safety switch.

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Very hot and nearly smoking positive terminal on the solenoid indicates very high amperage, likely due to a dead short somewhere. I'd start by replacing the solenoid, and then inspect the wiring to the starter very carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.