Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , found another mustang here but looks like someone put a Chevy engine in it ? The vin says it should have been a 351 ?? Q code ??

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
Chevy small block using modified pickup truck brackets(mid 90s+ brackets). There used to be tons of them at the super chevy shows. Still the best engine platform out there. Sorry diehard ford guys...
Well the Ford motor with it's front mounted distributor and oil pump doesn't place torsional loads on the camshaft effecting cam timing the torsional load from the valve springs doesn't effect ignition timing. Exhaust valves aren't placed next to each other. The Ford uses a larger diameter valve tappets which allows better cam profiles. The 4/7 swap Chevy guys discovered is the same firing order Ford has used since 1932.

The LS motor has more in common with the SBF then the gen 1 SBC. The LS heads will physically bolt onto a Windsor block. The valve and pushrod spacing is the same. The kit GM sells to use a mechanical distributor and fuel pump actually uses a Ford distributor and fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
JoesephQatar, its all that heat and sunshine out there. Bakes peoples brains and they don't realize they have sinned a great sin.

Elcam, you sir, are grossly misinformed. The classic small Chevy is a disaster. The firing order is wrong, the lifters are too small, and the center exhausts are right next to each other with no cooling in between. Not real smart. And, interestingly, the newer LS Chevy appears to just be a GM built 351W, I'm certainly not impressed. LSG

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well the Ford motor with it's front mounted distributor and oil pump doesn't place torsional loads on the camshaft effecting cam timing the torsional load from the valve springs doesn't effect ignition timing. Exhaust valves aren't placed next to each other. The Ford uses a larger diameter valve tappets which allows better cam profiles. The 4/7 swap Chevy guys discovered is the same firing order Ford has used since 1932.

The LS motor has more in common with the SBF then the gen 1 SBC. The LS heads will physically bolt onto a Windsor block. The valve and pushrod spacing is the same. The kit GM sells to use a mechanical distributor and fuel pump actually uses a Ford distributor and fuel pump.

View attachment 744560
Another Bowtie made better!
Henry Ford was an innovator.
Louis Chevrolet was a name.
True, Chevy power costs less.
I got tired of cursing GM stuff, though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Never seen or heard of any issue with lifter diameter. The rollers work just fine. Not the best design but standardized between small and big block so no figuring what trans fits what or if it will fit in an engine bay or mounts. 54-03 pretty much the same thing and lots of parts available and great industry support. Ford couldn't standardize anything except for 500K recalls a month plus these days.... 5.3 gas... any diesel after the 7.3... Ford couldn't even stick with one color code for tail light wiring. Oil pump at the wrong end of the engine...

Course I can complain about every brand out there in the same way... I like all of them and dislike all of them as well. Don't get me started on Chrysler...

My real point is that the ubiquitousness of the SBC and it's standardization and massive aftermarket support make it a great powerplant. All engines have their issues but it works it's available and doesn't have any problems that will manifest in any classic car.

·
Dimples
3,748 Posts
I don’t understand the armchair engineering superiority. The SBC resume is beyond impressive and evidence of its accomplishments is everywhere.

Better is some ways, worse in others and deserving of respect.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
definitely a chevy small block,, you can tell by the siamese middle exhaust ports, four bolt valve covers, and the distributor in the wrong place.

JoesephQatar, its all that heat and sunshine out there. Bakes peoples brains and they don't realize they have sinned a great sin.

Elcam, you sir, are grossly misinformed. The classic small Chevy is a disaster. The firing order is wrong, the lifters are too small, and the center exhausts are right next to each other with no cooling in between. Not real smart. And, interestingly, the newer LS Chevy appears to just be a GM built 351W, I'm certainly not impressed. LSG
actually the firing order is the SAME as teh early small block ford, you are just forgetting that cylinder numbering and distributor rotation are different. make a diagram of the small block ford firing order, then renumber the cylinders and change the distributor rotation, and you will find i am right. i learned this 40 years ago.

Never seen or heard of any issue with lifter diameter.
it wasnt about the roller lifters, but rather the flat tappet lifters. the larger ford lifters allowed for high lift and shorter duration cams before the edge of the lifter would dig into the cam lobes. the difference was enough that the racign sanctioning bodies allowed chevy to bore out the lifter bores to the same size as the fords so the chevys could run similar cams.

I don’t understand the armchair engineering superiority. The SBC resume is beyond impressive and evidence of its accomplishments is everywhere.

Better is some ways, worse in others and deserving of respect.
i agree with blake on this. i have great respect for the small block chevy, having owned a few in my lifetime. they have plenty of parts support in the aftermarket, in fact even today new parts are first developed for the small block chevys regardless of generation, ford comes in second.

the two engines, three if you include the chrysler small blocks, are excellent platforms to build high performance or race engines upon.

smokey yunick once said an engine doesnt know what name is on the valve covers, it only knows the physics going on in the engine.

so while we may be ford fanatics here, dont disrepect the small block chevy, or chrysler.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
When I go to the car shows, I appreciate the guys that, after doing a nice car, don't cheap out on the engine.
Instead of dropping an LS or SBC in, because it's cheap. They spend a whole bunch of money making a car really nice then take the easy or budget road on an engine.
Seeing a guy that keeps a nail head in a Buick, doing a big block olds or Pontiac, a Chevy 409 trumps a BB or SBC, dropping a 392 hemi in an old hotrod or rat rod is way more interesting than a SBC with chrome valve covers. Seeing a hopped up flat head ford, great.
Even seeing guys that tweak and rework the inline or slant sixes, that's cool.

Seeing a paxton on a SBF or Webbers = cool
Doing a Cleveland or Cleavor = interesting

Honestly I see all kinds of old street rods at the local shows 99% of them have a SBC with an auto trans in them = boring

See a guy that hot-rodded a Cadillac engine, and stuffed it in a rod = cool

I had a 340 W2 motor years ago, that would leave virtually every SBC and company in the dust. The only cars that would be trouble were the BBF's 440's and 454's

Not saying there is anything wrong with a SBC in a car it belongs in, but if I see two Camaros, a Buick, Olds and a Firebird lined up, I'm gonna spend the least amount of time bothering with the 350, and spend more time looking at a 396 Camaro, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick.
It's the vanilla ice cream of engines.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
SBCs are great for car show hacks who don’t have the talent to build anything else. Ever go to a drag strip and watch true heads up classes and read their rules? Every engine is either a BBC or a SBF. I haven’t seen anyone run a SBC in a heads up class in a long time. Also weird how hard they handicap SBFs in the rules......

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
When I go to the car shows, I appreciate the guys that, after doing a nice car, don't cheap out on the engine.
Instead of dropping an LS or SBC in, because it's cheap. They spend a whole bunch of money making a car really nice then take the easy or budget road on an engine.
Seeing a guy that keeps a nail head in a Buick, doing a big block olds or Pontiac, a Chevy 409 trumps a BB or SBC, dropping a 392 hemi in an old hotrod or rat rod is way more interesting than a SBC with chrome valve covers. Seeing a hopped up flat head ford, great.
Even seeing guys that tweak and rework the inline or slant sixes, that's cool.

Seeing a paxton on a SBF or Webbers = cool
Doing a Cleveland or Cleavor = interesting

Honestly I see all kinds of old street rods at the local shows 99% of them have a SBC with an auto trans in them = boring

See a guy that hot-rodded a Cadillac engine, and stuffed it in a rod = cool

I had a 340 W2 motor years ago, that would leave virtually every SBC and company in the dust. The only cars that would be trouble were the BBF's 440's and 454's

Not saying there is anything wrong with a SBC in a car it belongs in, but if I see two Camaros, a Buick, Olds and a Firebird lined up, I'm gonna spend the least amount of time bothering with the 350, and spend more time looking at a 396 Camaro, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick.
It's the vanilla ice cream of engines.
My friend's 29. He has a Red Ram and Nailhead squirreled away for other projects

·
Administrator
19,772 Posts
Doesn't bother me much. When you are messing with old cars that came from the other side of the planet you should be allowed some slack. The Chevy parts don't bother me so much in this case. It actually looks like they did a pretty good job.
I do have a couple of criticisms though. Why no export brace? Cant' say I care for the ugliness zip-tied over the battery. And for chrissakes will SOMEBODY please clean that battery terminal! That's about it. Needs a bit of a wash I guess.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had a lady at a car show tell me once that the Mustang motors look like a guy that could build a house, while the Camaro motors look like accountants. Who am I to argue?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
BS! You can't name one way that it is worse!
at least one way, for instance the distributor in in the back of the engine causing greater torsional loads on the cam shaft. another is both blessing and curse, and that is the way the oil pump connects to the distributor shaft, with a blade type connection like a standard screwdriver, and a collar to hold thing together. also the distributor mounting area has TWO gasketed surfaces allowing for a greater chance of oil leaks.

with HEI modules, they are not well designed and a little too much heat will kill them dead.

the port layout has four cylinders with less efficient airflow through the valves, compared to the ford with more equal airflow through the valves. and the siamesed center exhaust ports can cause localised overheating leading to detonation in the inner cylinders on each side of the engine.

the balancer does not use a bolt to help hold the balancer to the crank snut. it relies only on a friction fit. ford and chrysler both use balancer bolts.

the chevy engines use a fuel pump push rod,and while that doesnt cause reliability issues, it does cause maintenance issues.

the small block chevy does not use a retainer plate for the cam, just a cam button that leans against the timing cover, leading to another area where an oil leak can come from.

and while some of these design errors are minor, they are still issues that can cause problems.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
People stick with what they know. That being said, I see plenty of cross-breeds that seem to be done out of convenience - and in the end ultimate cheapness in a way that makes me wonder what else was Jethro'd. I have been looking at panel vans lately. Plenty of Fords out there with a bowtie under the bonnet. I'll pass. If it's a 37 Plymouth humpback panel van with a 350 then OK. No one is going to hotrod (modernly) a flat head straight six or find an in-family alternative. There's plenty of choices in the family for a Ford pickup or panel van.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts