Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have posted about this before under my topic, but I really need an engine that can pump out +400 HP and something I can upgrade, tri-power, supercharge, etc...

Also, are traction bars the same as lifters? The '68 will be my car forever and it IS a RestoMod and I want to have as much fun with it as I can.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'll have to say ditto to the 351W. I know you've been saying you want a big block, but you can EASILY get 400hp out of a 351W. There are many things you could do with it. And, you don't have the weight of the big block. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK I'LL LET OUT A FEW OF THE MAJOR COMPONENTS 1. SCAT 418" STOKER KIT(for 351w): THAT IS THE FULL ROTATING ASSEMBLY(CRANK,RODS,MAIN AND ROD BEARINGS,HASTING RINGS,PROBE PISTONS-BY THE WAY KNOW WHAT HEADS WILL BE USED FOR THE INTAKE VALVE POCKET RELIEF HAS TO BE GIVEN TO SCAT CAREFUL ATTENTION GIVEN TO THE FINISHED BORE I USED 3 1/2 THOUSANDS CLEARENCE BETWEEN PISTON AND CYLINDER WALL 3 THOUSANDS CLEARENCE ON MAIN BEARINGS 2 THOUSANDS ON THE ROD BEARINGS MAKE SURE BLOCK HAS BEEN LINE BORED -I DECKED THE CYLINDER BLOCK 15 THOUSANDS TO GET 10.5-1 COMPRESSION USING AIR FLOW RESEARCH HEADS 205 CC WITH 2.08 INTAKE VALVES WITH THE HEADS SET UP TO FOR A COMP CAMS 576 DEGREES LIFT 242 DURATION HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAM 1.6 RATIO ROLLER ROCKERS ELDENBROCK PERFORMER RPM AIRGAP INTAKE -750 DOUBLE PUMPER HOLLEY HIGH FLOW MILODEN OIL PUMP AND WATER PUMP- MATCH THE INTAKE PORTS TO THE HEADS-ARP BOLTS EVERYWHERE DOUG'S HEADERS 1 3/4" TUBES AND LOTS OF LOVE--Final numbers 499hp @ 5500 rpm with 536ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I know you've been saying you want a big block, but you can EASILY get 400hp out of a 351W"

How is $1,000 aluminum head's, single plaine intake/high rise dual plane, big carb, big cam and reving the motor to about 6500 houndred to get 400 hp "easy" ?? even then that 400 number is still BS. To me easy means streetable, economical, and practical. And if your talking stroker, how easy is that? You want easy? Buy a STOCK 4v cleveland, gear up and enjoy your 400 hp. Add a xcellorator and a 750 Dp if you must. But I have driven in clev with 4100 and stock intake, and it is enough. All this for less than the cost of GOOD aluminum windsor heads. So.... Buy a Clev if you want to achieve that magic number of your's, the EASY way. Just my opinion. But I am partial to cleveland's. Most of the ford guys I know in San diego run them..

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
IMO, buying a complete setup from Edelbrock (not a stroker...never said a stroker was easy in the first place....) is pretty easy....I never said inexpensive. Anyways, a stock 4v Cleveland doesn't put out 400hp...it puts out about 300 according to www.fomoco.com. Just my .02. (I'm up to .04 now. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I may be a little late with this message; I was out of town. I like the idea of using a 351W in 1967-68's; it is such a natural fit. I installed a 351W in my then 1968 coupe and my now 1967 convertible; the results are sweet. If you have the money consider using the 351 sportsman block; the block is built to run at 7,000 RPM according to Ford, and the newer Lightning and earlier blocks should be limited to about 5,800 RPM. The sportsman block is available as a 392ci crate motor which will save you money in the long run and assembly mistakes in the short run. If you go manual shift use an 11" Centerforce Dual Friction clutch assembly, Lakewood bellhousing, and a Tremec TKO tranny. Most importantly if you plan on keeping the car long term, then think long term; spending money is easy, the fun is planning carefully and getting good results. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Well it sounds to me like you know your BS for sure since you just threw a whole load of it out. Where did you get the idea that a Cleveland puts out 400HP stock? He didn't ask for easy OR inexpensive. He asked for something that would put out 400+ HP. The stroker will do it and STILL be reliable, if a competent person assembles it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts