Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently my engine is a pretty stock 289 with a c4 trans. I think my rearend is a 3.00:1, but eventually I am going to put something like a 302 or 351w and a tremec TKO 5spd. Also, I wanted to get a new rearend from Currie enterprises. So, my question is, can I get the rearend before I get the transmition? What gears ratio would/should I get, or would anyone recommend? I am sure there are unlimited set-ups that i could get so any suggestions from the pros are welcome. Or should my next step be to get the TKO from darkhorse performance and then get the rearend. My car is on jackstands (and probably will be for a while) and I am holding off on putting on the new suspension until I get the rearend.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
As far as which gears, depends on what your going to do with the car. I think a 9" w/ 3.91's (3.89's) and a 5 speed would be about middle ground. Maybe 3.50's for a tad better mileage.
Do what you can afford. Just leave it on the jack stands until it's all done. Might get the rear end and suspension done first so you can roll the car around if you need to.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
What i do is define a BUDGET and an OBJECTIVE. A $2,000+ rear end is a very fine thing but would you be as well served by a Granada 9" and a rebuilt tracktion lok for under $1,000. In fact if your not looking to supercharge or turbocharge you may be just as well off spending under $500 on the 8" rear end to give it gears and a traction lok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts