Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is setup with performance in mind. I guess I'm starting to head towards a less streetable car!

I have a nice shiney set of full length ceramic Hooker Comps to install next weekend. Problem is, my car is SO low to the ground already! 4 3/4 inches from the front frame rail to the ground...

Oh dear...

Shorties are not really something I want to switch to so I'm looking at other ways. I can raise the car up but then I'll need another alignment, something I don't really want to do as it was a major PITA getting it right last time. Plus the cars stance is perfect and it corners like it's on rails.

Are there other motor mounts from later cars that may raise the motor an inch or so? Any other options except the obvious like drive on flat perfect roads?!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just a thought. How about buying a set of steel aftermarket mounts for a 5.0 mustang, and then cutting them and adding an inch or so in the height....Seems like it would work for me. Summit has the steel replacement mounts in the catalog....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Wow, 4.75", that's low. I just went out and measured mine, er /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif, mustang, and it is 7.5" from the ground at the frame rail (5.5" from the subframe connector).

Why is your mustang so low? I lowered mine an inch or so up front and a little less than that in the back, and it still has another 2+ inches before it is as low as yours. What the heck did you do?

Its a good thing we aren't talking about the length of anything here, we all know where that would have taken this thread....

G

·
0 Posts
HiPo mounts on standard 65 frame brakets will raise the motor 3/4-1", but without raising the trans mount it will angle the collectors down

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for measuring your ground clearance Dave... On your Mustang I mean!

The reason mine sit's so low is:

No coil spring insulator, Shelby drop, cut half a coil off the already 1" shorter 620 spring and a 24" diameter tire...

I'm hosed!

It sit's perfect though, that's what is a bummer! Now I have to mess with it again!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ah, isn't adding performance parts fun? It's never just a simple bolt-on-and-go situation, is it.

The problem with raising just the engine to accomodate the headers is that you'll just shift your problem to the other end. Right now with an Edlebrock Performer RPM intake on my car, it's tough enough to find an air filter that will clear the hood. If I raised my engine AT ALL, I don't think I'd even find a filter to work. My point is, that if you raise the engine, you'll limit what you can do in terms of intakes, carb spacers and such.

I basically have no ground clearance between my full length FlowTech headers and the ground. Speed bumps are a challenge. Of course that doesn't keep me from driving it every day /forums/images/icons/cool.gif.

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. I have no clearance up top either! What was I thinking!

So how far are your header flanges from the ground? What's the measurment from your frame rail to the ground?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm with Kent on this one. Shorties do rule. I'm using ceramic coated Hedmans. With a little bending/customization of the handbrake lever, my custom-made 2.25 inch H-Pipe provides more clearance than the stock system did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts