Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm doing a t 5 swap in my 69 and learned alot from this site... The t5 I have has a pro5.0 shifter on it.... What handle should I put on it so I don't have to reach....someone said hurst makes one that looks like the original 4 speed one? Thanks

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
No, Hurst doesn't make that, IIRC, CPC does. Looks exactly like the 4-speed lever when installed, and they make a 4-speed lookalike knob with the 5-speed pattern on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where I can find it at ? For sale? Is there any other shifter I can use that causes me not to reach to much? I would hate spending 90 bucks on just a handle haha

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see a picturce? Haha I would love to make mine own... Cuz the cheapest one I found that should work is on cjponyparts its a hurst and cost 62 bucks without the ball just a handle....

·
Registered
683 Posts
How good are your welding skills? I bought an original Hurst handle on eBay, cut it below the floor level, then welded it to the T-5 stub. Installed a new 5-speed ball on the old handle and it looks pretty good. I think the handle cost me something like $12 + shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I've got the 5384106 w/white 5-speed pattern ball on my '66 FB. Looks awesome, smooth engagement and no reach issues.
There's always the black one. I like that lever too, looks factory on 70-73.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If you want cheaper than $62, you're either going to have to stretch to shift or get good with a welder. Not a whole lot of inexpensive options in this department. If you look at that link I posted in one of your first posts on this forum, it's a list of EVERYTHING you need to do a C4 to T5 swap. Where you source them from and what you pay for them is up to you, but essentially you'll need those parts. There's a lot of small stuff that will nickle and dime your $600 budget to death. The shifter is one of them. Here's the link again. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/619002-t5-swap-heres-my-list-total-parts-w-cost.html

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Ya know they have to make a killer margin on those lat pieces of steel with two holes on one end and threads on another!

We need to find someone with a CNC plasma to burn out the most popular pattern in aluminum or steel and sell group buy the bare parts for the DIY enthusiast.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can weld good... Enough to put quarters on the car... And yup so far willit you saved me alot.... I'm at $532 for the swap so far and only need the handle and knob and flywheel recut.... So might be a tad over $600!!!! I think I did good... Thanks alot for your help everyone! I might just cough up the 62 and be done rather then just weld and cost me a hour or two in the shop haha

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If you're handy with a welder, I'd just add some length to the middle of a stock T5 shifter. I tried going the route of finding a vintage 3 or 4 speed shifter and welding it to a block with the T5 base pattern, but couldn't find a shifter for less than what I could buy a new one for. Run of the mill 3 speed shifters were going for $80 on eBay. If you keep a good look on Craigslist or eBay, I'm sure you could find a deal, but I gave up and just bought the Hurst handle I listed in my link.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the UPR Rockcrusher shifter without the holes in it. It looks like this:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I have the CPC 4 speed look a like shifter mounted to my T5. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts