Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished painting my dash and almost completed re-installing everything. Went to screw in the speedometer cable but the sleeve appears to be too short or the actual interior cable is too long. Tried to push it back on but had no luck. Any idea?

Attached picture is the cable with the sleeve/nut pulled up the most it can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You can actually pull the inner cable all the way out if you wanted to wipe it off and lube it. Just do like Homer2 suggested and you should be able to re-seat it back into the speedo gear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try twisting the cable as you push it back in. Maybe it got pulled out of the gear in the trans.
As "homer2" said..If your inner cable has indeed pulled out of the trans, it means the driven gear retaining clip has come off, and it's possible now, that the driven gear is floating in your gearbox extension housing, might pay to carefully remove cable from gearbox end to investigate..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The driven gear retaining clip only holds the driven gear onto the cable body. That clip does not hold the inner cable in place. The transmission end of the inner cable does not have any sort of retaining mechanism. The only retaining mechanism on the inner cable is at the speedo top end. There is a ring pressed onto the inner cable that prevents it from sliding too far into the outer cable. You can actually see the retaining ring in his photo. There is no reason to suspect that the driven gear has fallen off the cable housing. Actually the fact that the inner cable is being held out shows that the driven gear is in place and is blocking the inner cable due to a slight misalignment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still having trouble pushing it back in. Been at it for about an hour with no progress. Right now it's in 4th gear (T5). Would it help to put it in neutral or try switching gears and try pushing back in?

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Try slowly twisting it clockwise as you put it back in... If that does not work... Then you'll have to remove the cable from the trans..and fix it that way.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, well that worked and I got it in in about 5 seconds. I was doing it counterclockwise. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts