Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

What has happened here?

1. I have a Ford Mustang fastback J-Code 1968. 4 speed manual transmission.
2. My Vin numbers match in the window on the passenger side, Vin Plate on the drivers door and on the front fender, driver's side.
3. It is verified by Marti Report.

4. Now to the engine
  • This number is written above/behind the starter motor:
  • Engine number D10E - 6015 -AA and also 2G29.

5. I think There should have been something with C8, C for 60 decade and 8 for year 1968.

• I haven't taken the valve covers off yet and checked what's on there.
  • If it's supposed to be a real J-Code, it should say 302 and 4V under the valve covers.

What to think about this?

Thank you very much for help.
From Sweden

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like somebody put in another engine at some point. Possible only the short block on which they installed the original heads but probably the whole engine except for maybe some external parts.

Ok, yes It seems like that. I hope the value of the car not will go down to much.

It feels, little strange, not so good. It should be a real 302 4V but It seems not to be that.

I will look tomorrow under the valve covers. Hopefully It stands 302 v4 there.

I wonder if D10E is a "bad" engine...? Low prestanda and horse power?

Thanks for fast response :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
D1 means 1971 but that’s really the first introduction of the block, not the building date of the engine. It’s also possible that somebody bought a rebuild engine or short block. Rebuilders just take random blocks and build engines from them. They don’t care when they’re cast as long as they fit the application.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
D1 means 1971 but that’s really the first introduction of the block, not the building date of the engine. It’s also possible that somebody bought a rebuild engine or short block. Rebuilders just take random blocks and build engines from them. They don’t care when they’re cast as long as they fit the application.
Thanks for info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The value of the car, will It drop now then?
All the VIN code is correct. Its a GT Ford Mustang Fastback 68. Martin report confirm and the car has the equipment that Marti report says.

Except the engine. Marti Report tells It should be 302 4V engine V8.

Its late in Sweden now, time to sleep. :)

We will see what stands under the valve covers. I will be back here and write after I check.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
After 54 years I would have been surprised if it had the original motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see now the 2G29 which means the block was cast on July 29, 1972. If the heads are from the same time period they will be low compression smog heads.
Ok, thank you very much for the information. I hope under the valve covers It will be stamped 302 4V.

If Its so then the engine block is like you all write here, from 1971/1972 and the valve and so on is an real 302 4V, J-Code.

We will see, I will look

·
Registered
43,937 Posts
There will be a partial VIN stamped at the back of the engine (see sample photo below). Post it and I can tell you where the engine came from, originally.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Engineering Wood Auto part

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Several things.

1) It is not the end of the world, could be better, but not doomsday.

2) The basic block is the same. Same bore, same stroke. I would rather have a D1 block that has never been bored, than a 1968 block bored 60 over and having issues.

3) From an exterior and performance standpoint, it is relatively easy to "clone" a 1968 J code, depending on how serious you want to be. Correct intake, correct carb, correct distributor and pulleys can be a bit challenging, but doable. The internals of your engine can be made to match or exceed the J code specifications.

So, start to unpeel the onion.

Pictures of the engine, including carb, distributor and pulleys. A 1968 engine has 3 crankshaft bolts, and a lip on the pulley. A 1970 and up has 4 bolts and no lip, so what do you have?

Are there dates and part numbers on the intake, and is it a 4 barrel?

What is the casting numbers on the heads?

I know you are across the pond, but a lot of stuff flows over there, and there are freight forwarders that can make shipping a lot cheaper.

One warning. I shipped a gorgeous rebuilt 4100 carb to Sweden, and it was impounded and destroyed. They said it had cadmium plating, which it did not. No luck, they destroyed the carb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Several things.

1) It is not the end of the world, could be better, but not doomsday.

2) The basic block is the same. Same bore, same stroke. I would rather have a D1 block that has never been bored, than a 1968 block bored 60 over and having issues.

3) From an exterior and performance standpoint, it is relatively easy to "clone" a 1968 J code, depending on how serious you want to be. Correct intake, correct carb, correct distributor and pulleys can be a bit challenging, but doable. The internals of your engine can be made to match or exceed the J code specifications.

So, start to unpeel the onion.

Pictures of the engine, including carb, distributor and pulleys. A 1968 engine has 3 crankshaft bolts, and a lip on the pulley. A 1970 and up has 4 bolts and no lip, so what do you have?

Are there dates and part numbers on the intake, and is it a 4 barrel?

What is the casting numbers on the heads?

I know you are across the pond, but a lot of stuff flows over there, and there are freight forwarders that can make shipping a lot cheaper.

One warning. I shipped a gorgeous rebuilt 4100 carb to Sweden, and it was impounded and destroyed. They said it had cadmium plating, which it did not. No luck, they destroyed the carb.
Hi
Thanks for all info.

Here comes pictures.
Please all, help me to analyze this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You're a long way from stock there! Those are probably '66-68 289 heads, as they were phased out in '68, and the 65 and earlier heads had "slots" for the pushrods instead of valve guides. You should have good compression. Your roller rockers indicate that someone put some money into this engine. The aftermarket intake and Edelbrock carb also show that someone 'souped it up' a little. I would not worry much about the block being a later model - pretty much all 289/302 blocks are the same until the mid 80s, when they went to roller cams and got some revisions to the lifter valley. With those heads, and that block, you may very well have an engine that is a little better than the original J-code. In fact, those could very well be "J" code heads. If they are, they will be stamped as 302 4V heads, but the casting was essentially identical to the 289 heads, and made 10:1 compression when put with flat top pistons and a 302 crank.

Edit: Oops, I see the 289 there in one of your pics! Not "J" code, but they might as well be. =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're a long way from stock there! Those are probably '66-68 289 heads, as they were phased out in '68, and the 65 and earlier heads had "slots" for the pushrods instead of valve guides. You should have good compression. Your roller rockers indicate that someone put some money into this engine. The aftermarket intake and Edelbrock carb also show that someone 'souped it up' a little. I would not worry much about the block being a later model - pretty much all 289/302 blocks are the same until the mid 80s, when they went to roller cams and got some revisions to the lifter valley. With those heads, and that block, you may very well have an engine that is a little better than the original J-code. In fact, those could very well be "J" code heads. If they are, they will be stamped as 302 4V heads, but the casting was essentially identical to the 289 heads, and made 10:1 compression when put with flat top pistons and a 302 crank.

Edit: Oops, I see the 289 there in one of your pics! Not "J" code, but they might as well be. =)
i, Thanks very much for all information. I attach two more picture, a letter It is there.... what can that mean..?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts