Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this all started with a simple intake swap. I installed a Edelbrock Performer intake and tried to use the autolite 4100 with it. Well I never could get it to idle right (even with an adapter plate) so I got a Edelbrock Perf. 500cfm carb. That installed fine but when I started it up it scared the sh** out of me because it was like it was floored (super high idle) so I tried to tune it down to no sucess. Then on the forth time starting it it spuddered then started to idle really high again. It did this 1 more time. Then on the next time trying to start it woouldn't turn over (start) at all.
So ....
1) I thought fouled plugs (changed those out)...nope
2) bad solinod (bought a new one)...nope
3) new battery cables...nope
4) new rotor and cap...nope
5) battery is fairly new

Now with all these new parts it will hardley turn over...it sounds "tired" if that makes sense. Like a supperding...surging noise. Is it the starter?

What have I done ::??

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Try retarding your initial timing a bit. If your initial is too high it will make it difficult to turn over as well as producing the very high idle speed.

Good luck.

Frank

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not to sound elementary; but check the basics as well. I would be very suspect of a vacuum leak at the new intake because of the commonality between 2 carbs. Return linkage binding? The edelbrock was the reverse of the stock on mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If the starter sounds "tired" or dragging you may have toasted the starter. It may have hung up when it went to HIGH idle and thrown the solder inside. Worth checking.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Oh yes........make sure your battery is fully charges too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts