Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Rich,
I just bought a 1969 mustang coupe 302 2 barrel.
The car spent a majority of its life in Nevada and then sat in a body shop for ten years so the body was pretty clean.
I want to get the car up and running and the first thing I do when I have a new car is to join a reputable forum.

My other toys include a 1992 3000gt VR4 and 1969 Camaro. I am not really biased on cars. I try to look at that car, in that moment and forget everything else about any other car. I want to appreciate every car in its own way.

I bought this car when my girlfriend fell in love with it. it was sitting on a trailer at a swap meet. It sat in my garage for 3 days and went to a body shop for work. I just got the car back 10/6 it took 2 weeks to prep and repair a few things and paint it (screaming yellow)=> girlfriends choice.

I will have a few problems:

when the car is put into drive it chirps tires. and will dang near peel out when sitting still (trying to get on a trailer) i believe that is a vacuum issue, which is causing a high idle and not boosting the brakes.

when the car was dropped off it was assembled, it came back disasembled, with a a gallon ziplock baggie full of metal bits (nuts, bolts and screws). i believe i am missing a piece between the grill and the front valence cover which is behind the bumper but i have no idea what it is called.

does anyone have a diagram how the headlights, front bumper, grill, front valence is put together? that would be apreciated!

thanks in advance for all the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Welcome to the VMF ,You've come to the right place.
Some should will be along to help with your drive ability issue and maybe offer some body assembly advice ,Good luck

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Nice to see another Mustang being put back on the road.

As mentioned, one of the Mustang assembly manuals out there will help you a lot.

The high idle can be caused by several things, a vacuum leak is a possibility. If you are unfamiliar with the carburetor on your car, feel free to post a picture or two with the air cleaner/filter off so we can have a look at it. It is possible there are some simple adjustments that can be made there as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there picture limitations on this forum?

thanks @awhtx ill look into those manuals.
@69GT350H the carb says autolight on it but i do have pictures. If there are picture limitations, i may need to save some for future issues.

My biggest problem with the mustang is my girlfriend wont leave it alone. when i get home from work she is out painting the trunk or taping the headliner. i get pictures at school with the gas filler tube asking if she assembled it right. And it gets worse... Everyday there are parts coming in from CJs, classic industries or summit.

I am beginning to wonder if it is my mustang or hers.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the forum’s! Being smitten by an old Mustang is a sickness, and it sounds like at least one of you have it. Nice car by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Attached is a picture of the Carb.
@indygta She cought mustang fever alright haha

thanks for the update on the photo limitation @awhtx
@rpm yeah the only i am unsure about is just how the headlight assembly, valence, front bumper and grill go together. a exploded view diagram would be more than enough to figure it out.

i believe i am missing a single piece. I recognize that something is missing just not sure what it is called. it is underneath the grill behind the front bumper. i believe it may be called a rock deflector. Does that sound right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ya, rock deflector sounds right.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,477 Posts
Rich, welcome to VMF from another 69 Coupe owner. Great color choice, that is the same color I want to paint my 69 Coupe when the time comes.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
My biggest problem with the mustang is my girlfriend wont leave it alone. when i get home from work she is out painting the trunk or taping the headliner. i get pictures at school with the gas filler tube asking if she assembled it right. And it gets worse... Everyday there are parts coming in from CJs, classic industries or summit.

I am beginning to wonder if it is my mustang or hers.
Or look at it this way, is she sticking around because of the Mustang or you? :grin2:

I assume you bought it but who's buying all the parts?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Rich, just a little fyi, these are people who have good info and/or treat us well:

West Coast Classic Cougar-Excellent videos. Many Mustang and Cougar repairs are similar.

Average Joe Restoration-good info.

Chockostang-Forum member, steering and brake expert, outstanding parts and service, all around good guy.

NPD-Forum member, quality parts retailer, outstanding service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to revive a dead thread,
I have a question how to use a build thread.

Is a build thread just a update of a work in progress? If i have an issue with a wire harness or rear end i would think that it would be more useful to ask those questions in the related areas. if that holds true then what use is a build thread?

This forum has already been useful several times, the front valence was installed with instructions from a member.

I had a heck of a time finding how to gap a set of points correctly. (between 0.017-0.020)

i don`t want to post any more questions if its not normal to post questions here in the member intro area.

But i guess ill give a quick idea of the situation.

Was trying to get the car tuned up and it died. Found that the coil gets 6.5 volts with key on. If I ark the starting solenoid it Runs. So i checked that push in connection from the ignition switch for starting and i was getting voltage. I ran a new wire from the start side of the ignition to the starter relay and the car cranks with the key normally...

Is there any kind of inline fuse going from the key to the starter solenoid? (for cranking only, not talking about resistor wire).

So this one is a bit of a pain, while tuning up the distributor, the wire that comes from coil was so dry rotted and old it snapped if it bent slightly. Not having another wire with that fitting that seals the distributor i attempted to use as little of the old wire as possible and just tried to use that fitting it may have broken off while putting it back in the distributor.

So i will remove the distributor cap and check to see if it is still getting juice, if it is not i will wrap a wire with electrical tape gradually increasing the thickness until i get a good seal on the cap.
I don`t have a dwell measuring tool is it necessary? or can the point be measured with a feeler Gage?

Another issue.. so i threw a timing light on the car and noticed no lines or markings. I took a piece of sandpaper to it and found a single mark which i marked with a paint marker. when i tried the timing light again that mark was moving around, i believe all vacuum lines are plugged so not sure what could cause that. this is going to sound stupid as i was watching the mark move about i noticed that even if that mark on the pulley behaved normally i would not be able to do anything with it( is that mark the 0 deg BTDC or a mark for initial timing).

I checked online for a timing tab and cant find anything on it for a ford 302. Assuming there were additional marks on the balancer i sanded it down and found 2 things the original marks there are several however they are not legible. Then i found a small section which looked like it had a sticker on it with timing number on it, most of it was already missing. I tried to gently clean it up but it flaked off easily.

So i am wondering if someone else took it off and put a sticker on it to time it or should i try using the original marks? i guess i could check cyl one and hand crank it to compression and get a base mark that way. anyone ever use those stickers for timing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts