Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting a decent amount of noise out of the headers on my 428. Wondering if the gaskets arent bad on it. Someone told me that these big blocks have so much pressure coming out of them that it's possible that I just need to retorque my bolts every week or so. Im running Hooker long tube headers and that got me to thinking. Is there a better header gasket out there? What do you prefer on your headers?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I blew out a handful of those cardboard crap gaskets that everyone sells. Get either some aluminum or copper header gaskets and you will never have to buy another header gasket again (they are reusable too)! Just be sure to glob some orange silicon on the sealing area first, then slap it all together. Same goes for the collector gaskets, aluminum or copper.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I used copper gaskets with Stage 8 locking header bolts.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pretty sure those crap cardboard ones are on there right now. Might have to go pick me up a set of the copper or aluminum. Are there any other options out there besides cardboard, copper or aluminum?

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I really don't know if there are other options besides those but if you stick with a metal gasket I think you will be fine.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Both mine and my son's cars have the crap cardboard ones on them, but they haven't leaked, so I'm not going to fix what's not broken.

My daughter's '69, on the other hand, would routinley blow out the cardboard gaskets, so about a year ago, we switched to copper for both the engine side and the collector side. She hasn't had a leak since then.

I'll only by the copper ones from now on.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I might go and pick up a set of copper ones then for both the headers and the collectors. I checked and have the cardboard ones on there right now. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I use Fel-Pro 1415's for my SBF.
Not sure what the part number is for a FE motor, but those gaskets have never let me down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts