Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start rebuilding a 289 (over a years time) that I pulled from a 64.5 coupe. I want to make this motor mean and streetable at the same time. I'd like to be able to take it to the track on weekends and drive it home. What should be the first thing I get for it? Should I get a different crank and/or pistons? I know I'll be needing to get new heads. Any recommendatins would be great! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The 64.5 engines were the 5 bolt bellhousing pattern. Make sure the block is compatable with the transmission you plan to use.

You can build a mild big cube motor that will run as fast or faster than a radically built 289 small block.
1. 347 Stroker kit/10-1 compression ratio
2. Pistons usually come with the stroker kit, Keith Black pistons are capable of a tighter piston/cylinder wall clearance, meaning a quiet, smooth running engine.
3. I have Edelbrock performer RPM heads (#6025) and have been very pleased. Good compromise between all-out race heads and small port street heads. Excellent power all the way thru the RPM range.

I'm a believer in hydraulic roller cams. Used to be, you had to choose between hi-RPM power, mid range, or bottom end torque. Now you can have all three with the new, modern hydraulic roller grinds.

·
6,854 Posts
Art has brought up a point that I don't fully understand.

I've read more then once that 289 blocks ARE NOT recommended for stroker conversion because the cylinder bores do not extend as far into the block. At the same time, I've seen the opposite information too.

That's one thing. The other thing is Art is right, if you want to make competitive power at the track, it's going to be cheaper to do it with more cubic inches, then by building a 289 that would rev high enough to make the same power. Plus, such an engine might not be all that streetable.

If you want to learn how to make a 289 scream, read my More Power Page. But bear in mind that my ULTIMATE plan for a street car would be to ditch the 289, start with a fresh roller block, and go to 347 cubic inches. What I did was to take one bite out of the apple by doing just the heads first without touching the lower half of the engine (which had 10,000 miles on a "rebuild" and no obvious problems) What I ran into were the difficulties in taking a piece by piece approach EVEN with a lot of forethought and planning. The stock pistons hit the new valves. One of the old rings was busted. I ended up replacing the pistons, rings, and a few fasteners at an additional cost of maybe $400...that will be wasted if I go to a 347...because my KB116's ARE NOT stroker pistons.

Have I confused you enough?

The other BIG issue is the fact your block is not a roller block and a roller cam would be highly desirable. So...to make a long post short...if I were you...I would...GASP...sell the 64 1/2 set up for whatever I could get, and start over. Specifically, I'd get a 347 short block from a reputable supplier (ask kktel about his experiences here) and use AFR 185 cc heads, a modest roller cam (call the manufactuer for their recommendations), a nice dual plane aluminum intake, and a BG street demon carb. But that's a lotta greenbacks, so you'll need to put a pencil to it before you start.

Good luck with WHATEVER you decide. Double check that bolt pattern like Art said. That could really cause you headaches down the line.

Phil

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
You can get some screaming deals on brand new rollerblocks for about the same price as machining the old one. As Art said, and from my own experiences, roller cams are the way to go! Get a 28 oz. 302 crank, have the machine shop grind the ring off the rear main and drop it in. You'll have a 28 oz unbalance rollercam motor and won't have to worry about the conversion stuff. You should be able to get pistons, rod, ect from one of the big supply houses.

While there are no substitutes for cubic inches, a good running , roller cam 302 will provide a lot of performence. Much more, I'd seriously think about upgrading brakes, tires and suspension.

If your thinking about a 347 stroker kit, I think I'd just install a 351W. It'll hold up better, stronger block, crank ect., and the wrist pins won't be in the oil ring. The down side is an extra 75 pounds or so up front where you really don't need it though. A plus for the 347!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have an 87 302 roller motor in my car now. It's pretty much stock but it's a lincoln or t-bird motor. The numbers on the block are washed away and I don't want o pull the heads to see what kind of motor it is. It does have a fresh rebuild on it. When I rebuilt it, I was told it was an 87 mustang motor and rebuilt it accordingly. When I went to get spark plugs for it, none of the mustang plugs fit in it. It required the 765's which do not bottom out on the outside of the block like the mustang plugs. So the motor runs strong, but not as strong as I would like. I NEED MORE POWER! The thing is, I don't know what is upgradeable on this motor and what performance parts I can use. I was told that I would have to be careful with different heads cause the pisons may smack the bottoms. I don't want to buy a new motor. I'd like to just build on one of the 2 that I have and keep the car on the road in the process.
So now you've all got me thinking about sticking with my 302. What should I do!??!?
Thanks - Chris

·
6,854 Posts
http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC19200.JPG

Save $3000 up (maybe a bit less) and read my morepower page. I think you're headed down the same road. You'll end up with new heads, pistons, cam, etc...using your stock 302 roller block, crank, and rods.

Since you'll have 13 more cubic inches then me and a roller cam, your car will kick my car's ass /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

That address again is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/mopower.htm

GOOD LUCK!

Phil

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much did your wife spend in parts?

·
6,854 Posts
ONE MO THING...if you want to spend A LOT less how bout this?

Pull the heads off your roller motor. Check your compression ratio and your valve to piston clearance. Have your heads milled to raise your compression ratio up to 9.5 to 10.0 to one. Get a home porting kit and port match your stock heads and intake back to your gaskets. Put in a hotter cam.

Consider upgrading your exhaust if it is anything other then headers, crossover, true duals and good turbo type mufflers.

That way you'll have more power, but your car won't kick my car's ass /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and you'll spend A TON less cash.

Just a thought.

Regarding cost...I already said...see my PM to you for details.
Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts