Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I put everything in that I did last week. Last week a friend and I rebuilt the power steering valve,slave cylinder. We also pulled the idler arm and outer tie rod ends. Today we put it all back on. The long pressure hose still seems very strange. Replaced the tie rod ends and idler arm then adjusted the steering box. Took it and drove it to town for lunch (20 miles each way) and the difference............ Whole different little car! Got a friend that owns a front end machine,I’ll get it lined up in a couple of days. Last winter I put a performer 289 intake,4160 Holley,and headers. Took it and had exhaust with X pipe,and magna flows. Told the guy I just wanted a nice sound. Nothing obnoxious. He got it right. Got a bunch of stuff to put inside. I want to drive it though.best thing you can do for em is drive em. Anyway,I’ve had a pretty good day for an old retired fart.

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
That long hose is supposed to come out the back of the pump, go straight UP, loop outboard, down the back of the pump (secured with a strap to itself where it touches) then through a strap on the front of the shock tower, then into the insulator bracket on the top of the left motor mount, then straight down to the valve.

This was supposed to decrease pump vibration in the steering. OEM replacement hoses had a strap forming the loop, which people would mistakenly cut off thinking it was packing material. 71-73 cars had the loop laying (in a clamp) on top of the left shock tower brace.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts