Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting geared up to move the Mach 1 from storage to a shop for refurb work. I let the insurance lapse while it sat in the garage.

What insurance should I get at this point? I was planning to insure with Hagerty when it is back on the road. Will they insure it while it is at the shop and being worked on?

Thanks.

-BS

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Here's the way I woked it with State Farm: car only had comprehensive coverage during the restoration period (almost three years). This provided insurance for fire or theft. Since it wasn't on the road I didn't need liability or collision coverage.

Whenever I moved the car...trailered it to the body shop for example...I called my agent and informed him I needed full coverage for the day I moved the car only. The rates were adjusted for the day to full coverage including liability and collision. Once the car was at the body shop, I called him again to reinstate the restoration coverage. Although this was a pain to do, it saved a lot of money since liability and collision coverage were only paid for six days during the three year restoration period.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Best thing to do would be to call Hagerty. AFAIK, they will insure cars under restoration, but they do have restrictions, to prevent the "Eternal Restoration" syndrome...

www.hagerty.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts