Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to buy a project car. 1967 coupe, 289, 3-speed, it's been sitting outside (Arizona) for the last 10 yrs. Owner says it's a California Shelby Kit, some kind of clone I guess. I am a GM guy and not that familiar with Ponys. Distinguishing features are shelby scoop hood, shelby valvecovers, Shelby type ducting behind the doors and a rear deck spoiler. The car runs/drives pretty well, especially considering it has been sitting forever, it smokes if you get on it. Owner says the engine was bored .40 over. No apparent rust other than some surface rust, of course it needs a restoration but the car is solid. Does anyone know what the heck this is, I know very little about Shelby's and know they are all fastbacks or an occasional convertible.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Never heard of that. The valve covers and hood are just aftermarket or reproduction parts. The scoops and rear deck are Shelby and California Special parts. To be a Cal Special it would also need the Shelby tail lights and script lettering, and a '68.

sounds like someone was just customizing with parts they liked- restomod style. ::

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I kinda figured. The owner died yrs ago, the guy selling it doesn't know much. Tail lights/fact it was a coupe were big giveaway. It's still a good southwest project car. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts