Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a serious look at a project 1968 GT-350 that I will describe all that I know about so far.
The car is an original Shelby with all vin numbers and plates present. It is registered in the Shelby registry. Car condition is s follows: Rust free. quarter panel replaced at least once. No engine or transmission.Rear quarters were modified for slick tires. Regular Mustang front end. Missing some interior and fiberglass parts.
I do not know the owners asking price yet because He will have the car at his home in about one week, I just would like some help in what should I expect to pay for this car. All opinions are welcome and thanks to all who take their time to answer.

·
Registered
981 Posts
by the time you build a motor and tranny,replace the front fiberglass restore the body and interior and paint the car.Maybe you should figure on new suspension also.figure putting 25k plus into the car and thats not a concourse car.you could maybe save 5k in labor doing everything on your own.so whats the car worth when finished?personally I think even 10k would be a little high without the front fiberglass.

·
Registered
243 Posts
In 1997 I sold a '68 GT-500 before I moved to France that was little more than a rusty shell. Shelby vin and tags were present as well as most fiberglass. Title was clear. An engine block, transmission were present. Rear was tubbed. Interior was gutted with a hiddeous cage welded in. I sold it for $6,000. Today I'd expect this shell to sell for twice as much. May be a little more. In 2000, I purchased a rust free original, lime gold, 4 spd GT-350 with 44K miles (featured in Road & Track's special edition introducing the "new" 1994 Mustang). Earlier this year I bought a rust free original, sunlit gold automatic GT-350 with 67K miles (one of the '68 Hertz cars). The experience in buying these 2 cars has shown me that there are really nice '68 GT-350's that can be had for amounts in the low $30Ks. Given the needs of the project you describe, I think you may well be better off looking for a more complete car. Rick

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think ANY Shelby these days brings in excess of 20K regardless of condition, assuming the numbers are legit. From what you have described, if you could get it for 15K - 20K, I think you would be doing well. There were some good points made in the previous posts. It all depends on your situation. If you can afford to buy one "Done" for $35K, you may be better off buying it instead of the project. If you are looking for a project and can do some or most of the restoration work yourself, and you can get it for under 20K, I say go for it and have fun! Good luck! ::

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I'm concerned about the "regular" front end. Usually this is because the car was involved in a wreck. I agree with the other posters - this is going to be an expensive restoration because so many parts are missing. The cheapest (and fastest) way might be to buy a good clone and strip all the usable parts off of it. I realize that you may have to pay 15-20K for a clone but at least you'll have ALL the body parts and the drive train. Either way you will probably end up with more in the car than what it is worth. I understand why the project Shelbys cost so much relative to a nice one. A lot more people can afford to pay $10-15K for a hulk than $35K for a nice one. If you provide all the labor you might not be upside down in the car. This decision depends on your financial means (is this the only way you can afford any kind of Shelby?) and how much you like to get your hands dirty. Keep in mind that most projects of this magnitude either take years to finish or never get finished by the person that starts them.

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
The "regular" front end could also be due to its being stolen at some point in the past. Shelby's were hot-tickets for theft back in the day, and all the Shelby glass was worth money parting-out, and the standard stuff cloaked the cars from the authority's attention.

Yes, driving a stock 1968 GT350 is pretty underwhelming. But lord-knows there's plenty of ways to build a hot-hot-hot 302, and make it look completely original in outward appearance.

$15K-$20K is where I'd want to be on that, knowing in advance that you'll likely never be ahead on the car (financially), but you could have a ton of fun building it and then owning your own Shelby, knowing how its built.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Zray is turning into a grave digger.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,315 Posts
Go thru the Registry and find out the history on the car, maybe talk to some of the previous owners. Look up the cost of replacement parts (original vs repop) whichever way you want to go. Have a price ready in your head that u can do after some digging. I was at Auburn Auction 2 years ago and a 68 didnt sell for 70k. Ive seen some go for more but they have "good history". If you can do it GO FOR IT they dont come around that often. Parts are out there when you look, and can afford. Good Luck let us know. Talk to 68 Shelby Registry Representative and you are on your way👍👍All prices go up when you say $helby, look at what people ask for NOS door handles😁

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,315 Posts
OMG🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️☺☺☺👈

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Yeah he got it, then someone stole the front clip!

·
Dimples
5,866 Posts
it’s been the slowest one since 1968

PS. there’s no thread too old for me kick down the road
I have to support the ownership of deep thread resurrection. I’m on board if it’s one you think is worth commenting on.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Of course you have heard of the SAAC forum, right? All Shelby....all the time. Bounce that question over there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts