Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: what’s a good cutting oil (for metal) that I can get locally? I see all kinds of recommendations for stuff that can be ordered online but I want something I can get from a local auto or hardware store, ya know?

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Have you went to your local hardware store and asked for cutting oil? Since we're not local to you we would have no idea what you can get local.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Harbor Freight and Granger carry CRC. I would think a good ol' hardware store would carry it as well.

You can also get by with other fluids until the good stuff arrives from an on-line source.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you went to your local hardware store and asked for cutting oil? Since we're not local to you we would have no idea what you can get local.
I was talking like Home Depot, Menards, Lowe’s, Ace Hardware, etc.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Harbor Freight and they have CRC Cutting Oil in stock. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I have seen 3-1 oil used, seen diesel used and sometimes a mixture of diesel and other oil depending up on the application. Heavy bodied for thread cutting and brush during lathe or milling. Seen straight diesel when using a pump to spray a part being machined, served as lubricant and also kept metal shavings washed away.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
My two faves were Cool Tool and Moly D. Cool Tool for threading stamped stainless hinges that we produced thousands of per month. Moly D was to fix a vendor's F-up and we had to cut threads on formed stainless wire - by hand. Not a fun week.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mostly it depends on what you're cutting. I use an oil base on steel and trans fluid on aluminum. I haven't cut any copper or brass for years so I don't remember what I used.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used my tubing notcher for the first time last night and the CRC Cutting Oil worked great (as did the JD2 Notchmaster and Milwaukee hole saw - free plug!). It’s in the plumbing section of Harbor Freight and I believe Grainger also carries it if you have one in your area.

·
Just some guy
19,997 Posts
I hadn't noticed the CRC fluid at HF. I'll be sure to pick some up the next trip. I REALLY like Tap Magic but it's pretty expensive so I like to reserve it for small jobs.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you are going to notch a fair amount of tubing (cage, chassis, etc) prolly want to switch from aerosol to bulk. Your wallet will thank you. I use Rapid Tap that I transfer from the big container to a squeeze bottle. You can get most any of the fluids in quart and larger. One of the squeeze gooseneck oil cans work well. A lot of fab guys use Rigid Dark cutting lube. Pretty affordable at $20-25/gal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts