Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am thinking of pricing a daily driver. My convertible project going at a snail's pace and I am tired of paying around 400.00 a month for a "new" car. What is the norm in the midwest for a 65-72 coupe driver? It doesn't matter if it is a 6 cylinder or a v8 as long as it runs and doesn't look like swiss cheese underneath. Not looking for a beauty queen. Cosmetics(carpet,upholstery,dash) aren't a big deal either. LMK what you think is a fair price before I pay to much like I did my 68' vert project from hell.
Thanks~
Jon Edwards

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am located in St. Louis, Mo. BTW. Just in case lacation in the midwest has anything to do with price.
Thanks~
Jon Edwards

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Well, Im in Indiaina. I got my for 1000.00, but it was rusted to hell, and bent in half. I probably over paid for it, but I didn't know any better then. Right now I have around 16,000.00 in it. But the car is cherry now. Im going to use it as my daily driver as well. I would imagine if I were to sell it, I could probably get 9-10k out of it. You should be able to find a good coupe for around 6500. Afterall, coupes were the most produced, so there are a lot more of them.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
This is my personal opinion. Even though you are in the midwest; look to SW or CA cars. A couple reasons, more plentiful out there which should mean a lower price; and probably the best reason is the likelyhood of less rust. (although not gaurenteed).
I bought a 66 coupe from NM and had only 1 small piece to replace because of rust.
5 - 7k should get you an excellent daily driver coupe.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I agree w 1966conv's comments. Your willingness to consider a 6cyl will bring the price down also.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much is a 6 cylinder in decent shape worth. I have seen a couple in the paper for under 4K but they have been advertised for a while so I was thinking either they need serious work or the owner is firm on his price. I kinda wish I had bought a 66 coupe 6 cylinder for 1000.00 when I had the chance instead of my 68 vert project. There was alot less wrong with it. For starters there was an engine! :) Oh well I will get the vert on the road, it just might take alot of $ I keep telling myself it is worth it......to me.

Later~
Jon Edwards

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Buy a car from California. Visit Randy at www.californiamustangs.com
His cars are great, and the difference between these cars and midwest cars is amazing! Imagine virgin shiny floorpans lurking beneath the carpet, imagine using normal strength to loosen bolts since they are not rusted. Plus these cars are typically driven year round, which is very good for cars. When cars get ittle use, they deteriorate quickly. I have bought a conv. from him and refered my friend to buy a convert from him this spring. A 65-8 coupe will run 3000-6000 an figure about 600-800 in shipping.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts