Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in southern California its like 89 degrees, what would be a normal temp range in my 65? Or does outside heat have nothing to do with it. Right now it heats up to about halfway in the guage.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
After driving how long? Fully warmed up, mid-gauge is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really been driving around alot, only around town maybe like 2 or 3 miles.
The weather sucks today because its hot and the air is even hotter and dry. Since I don't have a/c cruising with the windows down doesn't really help.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
You call 89 really hot?

It was 118 here yesterday...113 just North of us and 103 in downtown with nasty wind and dust and 80% humidity...Feels 120....

Mel

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I just drove six miles in light traffic, in 89 degree heat. I barely got 1/3 up. You may need to check if your thermostat is opening. Run it with the radiator cap off (starting cold!) and see if you get flow. Oh, and I suppose your coolent might be low as well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
In answer to your question 5-10 degrees hotter than your t-stat. The water at the top of your rad. will be about 10-15 degrees hotter than your actual eng. temp,so measure with a guage there if you can.No more than 190 on an old small block.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry about exagerating so much about the heat, but I kinda forgot there was members who lived in the west coast. ::

·
Registered
446 Posts
Man, now i feel I have a huge problem. My car runs at 190 and about 200 in traffic, it has gotten as high as 215. I hope this is somewhat normal for a 351 that is slightly built up. I just flushed the radiator too.

Darn, guess i need to add a pusher fan to the list of things i need but can't afford. Work is hard to find at age 16, at least here in the Bay Area. Guess i'm just not looking hard enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts