Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure this question will prove I am one but...

I've never owned a car with an auto trans in my life. I don't know thing one about auto transmissions. And I always seem to skip the articles about them!

Im sure someone out there can tell me what an xxxx RPM stall converter is.

Thanks for the help!

If you have time, check out my 66 Coupe, with a Tremec of course!

66 Coupe:
302, AFR heads, Tremec 5 speed, Performer RPM, MSD Ignition, 9" w/ 3.70 gears, 4 wheel disc, subframe connectors, etc<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tomalford on 04/12/01 00:28 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't have much of an answer for you, but don't feel bad. My current '67 conv. project is my first 2-pedal car, too. I've had eight vehicles in my life and they've all been sticks. I'm having to learn about trans cooler lines, kick-down cables, neutral safety switches, and stall converters. About all I know on the subject is it's a large donut-shaped rotating part inside the bell housing.

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

1,663 Posts
It is a torque converter that alows the engine to rev higher before it starts to lock up or apply the power,,they are common to drag racers and modest stall converters really wake up a street car ,,Rule of thumb::the stall RPM of the converter should be lower than the cruising(highway) RPM of the engine,, so that the converter won't be slipping while going down the highway


Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All automatic transmissions have a torque converter- it's the part that replaces your foot feathering the clutch on a manual transmission car. One part is attached to the engine, the other to the transmission input shaft. At low rpm, the drive (engine) part rotates at engine speed, the driven (transmission) part can turn slower or faster- so the car can be stopped or coasting. The two parts are hooked together by the transmission fluid flowing off fins in the two halves. The "stall speed" of a converter is the maximum speed the drive part can rotate without the driven part rotating (imaging sitting at a stop, with the brakes on hard, and racing the engine as fast as it will go). Higher stall speeds are used in drag racing, because the engine can get up higher on the torque curve before the brakes are released. But driving a car with a high (3000 rpm or so) stall speed is like driving a car with a rubber band between the engine and transmission. You have to really get on the gas to accelerate, and there is virtually no engine braking. Small block fords, however, are not noted for high torque output, so you'll often find your transmission supplier recommending a somewhat higher stall speed than came on the car originally. A couple of hundred rpm higher than "normal"- or about 2000-2200 rpm, isn't that noticible. As noted, be sure to keep it lower than your cruise rpm or you'll really notice the "rubber-band" effect.

Gene Zierdt
'65 Conv.
302/roller cam/valves/ported
T-5 w/3.55
negative roll, progressive front, 4 1/2 rear springs
Front & rear anti-sway bars

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to be insulting, I don't mean to be, but if this is fyour first automatic, make sure you check your automatic transmission fluid regulary, :)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.