Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
351 c stock 2v intake...

Im guessing it is all those extra holes on the intake manifold not plugged up? What do you plug a vacuum leak up with? I have like this plug on the back of my intake with 3 prongs that I can put tubes on. It has nothing on it. Is thast where my vacuumn advance should come from? Or should that come from my carb? I have the vacuum advance coming from this little plug in the front of my intake that screws in. btw my car wont stay runnning so im trying to solve a vacuum problem./
also I dont have pcv hooked up. Does the left valve vover tube go air cleaner and the right valve cover tube go to back of carb? or vise vera? Thanks, Josh.

·
Registered
645 Posts
hehehe Im sorry but I just can't help but chuckle after reading your post and then glancing over at your screen name. Has your engine ever run right before?

You definetely are missing vital vacuum lines and have enormous vacuum leaks if that fitting doesn't have plugs on it.

You need to look up the proper routing of vacuum lines, or, I'm sure a fellow VMF'er with a stock setup can snap a pic of their lines and you can follow that.

Vacuum line, and the rubber plugs can all be found at your local parts store... should be a piece of cake.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes, the vacuum "tree" on the manifold behind the carb needs to have all the little tubes capped up. You can buy vacuum caps at any auto parts store, or you can plug them temporarily by cutting about 3" pieces of hose and plugging one end into one hole and the other end into the next. Also you can cut short pieces and put a small bolt into the end to plug it. If your car has power brakes there will be a larger hose coming out of the same fitting and going to your booster. This must be hooked up to get the power brakes to work.

The vacuum advance should go to full manifold vacuum so the fitting it is on should work. Normally that goes to a fitting on the carb base in the front, depending on the carb. Also check there for vacuum tubes that are open.

Left and right on a car is always determined by which way that is when sitting in the drivers seat. Sooooo, when bending over the front of the engine the right side of the engine is on the left........ I know, confusing as hell........ *G*.

The PCV hose should come out of the PCV valve on the right rear (passenger side) valve cover and go to a fitting on the back of the carb or carb plate at the bottom. This hose must be in place or it will never idle, and will hardly run. If you can't find a suitable hose, you need to block that fitting on the carb base temporarily to get it to run. You can use the same technique as the small hoses by cutting a short piece of hose and plugging the end with a bolt.

As soon as possible get the right hoses and caps and replace the makeshift stuff. In the meantime maybe getting the engine to run will be some good motivation!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help!!! I have like 6 of these holes including the tree uncaped. Im hoping they will solve my problem. Too bad my neighbooors wont let me start my car up:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts