Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced all the bulbs on my instrument panel and now the fuel light and the left turn signal light is burnt out. what gives? BTW i just got a new fluke digital multimeter so give me a chance to use it ::

·
Registered
335 Posts
First thing to do would be to check how much voltage you are getting. It shouldnt be anything over 14 volts, but just in case your whole system is screwy, check it anyway. Also, what bulbs did you get? Are you sure they are the right ones? Last thing would be to check and see if there is a small voltage leak while the switch is off which would run the life down on the bulbs dramatically.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would check out the instrument voltage regulator and make sure the printed circuit board doesn't have any shorts or broken leads. Lastly, do you know for sure the bulbs are actually blown or could it be possible that there is just a loss of good contact to the printed circuit?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Are you sure the bulbs are burned out? Really sure?? (This is just a chance for you to play with your new Fluke). Set the Fluke on the ohms setting, and touch the leads to the base contact, and the side contact on the bulb. If it reads close to 0, the bulb is good. If it reads "OL", which stands for open lead, the bulb is bad. Works on fuses too. Enjoy! ::

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would i replace the voltage regulator without the circit board? it seems like they are glued together. i've seen the curcit at NPD for around 80 with the regulator at 20 so 100 bucks for something that might not be around for the rest of the car. I'm looking in to autometer gauges right now insted of trying to replace the wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts