Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
In 67 the vented hood was part of the exterior decor option which also included rocked panel mouldings, bright trim on the rear, and pop open gas cap. While many GT cars also were optioned with exterior decor, not all were. Some non GTs had it also

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
In 67 the vented hood was part of the exterior decor option which also included rocked panel mouldings, bright trim on the rear, and pop open gas cap. While many GT cars also were optioned with exterior decor, not all were. Some non GTs had it also
As I understand it, the '67 exterior decor group consisted of:
Turn signal hood louvers;
Wheel opening moldings;
Pop open gas cap;
Stainless trim on trunk lid lip and quarter extensions for coupe and convertible.

The rocker panel molding was standard on fastbacks and a stand alone option for coupes and convertibles. It was also a part of the Sport Sprint option package later in the model year. To the best of my knowledge the rocker molding was not a part of the Exterior Decor Group.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
That connector mates with the connector for the hood mounted turn signals. You can see the wire colors:
WHT/BLU (2/2A) - right
GRN/WHT (3/3A) - left

You can see the connector on the wiring diagram at center left ('For R.P.O. Turn Signals'):

BTW if you zoom in (lower extreme right in pic) you can also see the unique wire/connector (VIO/WHT) for the 1967 brake warning switch on the brake differential valve:

Paul

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wheel opening moldings;
Pop open gas cap;
Stainless trim on trunk lid lip and quarter extensions for coupe and convertible.

The rocker panel molding was standard on fastbacks and a stand alone option for coupes and convertibles. It was also a part of the Sport Sprint option package later in the model year. To the best of my knowledge the rocker molding was not a part of the Exterior Decor Group.

+1 See attached.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,715 Posts
I've got a question for you all then. My car came with wheel well trim and trim along the top of the trunk lid and quarter extensions. But the only exterior option selected were rocker panel moldings. Would these have been a dealer installed option or something else?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Jeff and Bob, thanks for the correction.

As for the car in question, do you have a Marti report that identifies the rocker panel mouldings and no to the exterior decor group?

If so the wheel lip mouldings and vented hood were added sometime after the last 49 or so years.

If you are wondering if the work was dealer installed I would suggest two things (1) look for the date code stamped on the hood, and (2) send a picture of the original wire harness focused on the transition area between the hood and firewall - there are some unique characteristics of original harnesses that can be observed.

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
I've got a question for you all then. My car came with wheel well trim and trim along the top of the trunk lid and quarter extensions. But the only exterior option selected were rocker panel moldings. Would these have been a dealer installed option or something else?
What body style is your car?

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
The TS hood is often called that, but actually had nothing to do with the GT option. Many 6 cylinder cars had it, many GTs did not. Styled steel wheels fall into that, too, but the only GT that included styled wheels was 1968.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Wheel opening moldings;
Pop open gas cap;

You beat me to it. You're right--the Exterior Decor group did not include rocker moldings (which seems kind of strange in retrospect).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts